Chapter 18

So warm...

Marquise gave a quiet groan as he stretched out his stiff arms and legs, then yawned wide enough for his fangs to extend, then retract again as the action finished. He knew that he had a party to attend soon, but he didn't want to get up. It was nice and toasty beneath the thin blanket he'd been gi—an abrupt chill ran down his spine as he gave a little shiver. 

Huh? 

His body was cooling off very quickly, making him panic and push himself up in confusion. His heart was also struggling in his chest, skipping beats, then beating extra fast to try and make up for the loss. 

What is going on?!

He was just about to shake Vrasje awake when he noticed something and looked down. 

His hand? 

He followed that hand up to its arm, then to its owner. Vrasje wasn't lying close to him, but his long arm had reached over and his hand was lying palm-up right next to where he'd been curled up sleeping. 

His eyes narrowed on that hand, a bit miffed that the vampire had likely been touching some part of him while he'd slept, but then his attention was ripped away as another chill swept through his system, making him wince as a tiny whine left his lips and he reached up to grab at his chest. 

I... I can't breathe!

A blurry shadow appeared as he was glaring down at the blankets, forcing himself to breathe even though it didn't feel like it was working. He had no time to worry about whatever was causing that shadow. He was just trying to keep himself from passing out!

"It's going to—" 

Huh? 

His hearing was going in and out as a loud ringing took over the majority of sound he could process. There was one thing he was able to focus on, though. 

Warm...

Marquise immediately tried to get closer to that warmth, and his struggles evidently earned him a reward as a flare of heat suffused through his aching, shivering muscles. 

He could also feel a firm hand gently press against his back and begin to rub, but because that hand was also generating heat, he paid it no mind. It was more than welcome to be there. 

"I think it's beginning to—."

Who...?

Marquise felt something gently tap against his lips, then retreat, making him instinctively lick them.  

Blood? Am I bleeding? 

"Master, are you okay to feed him more?" 

Taru? 

His mind was beginning to clear, but he still couldn't find the strength to open his eyes back up yet. 

"It's okay, Marra. Just relax and drink," Vrasje said, making Marquise realize that it hadn't been his blood that he'd been licking. 

He didn't really want to, but since Taru wanted him to drink, and Vrasje was evidently already feeding him, he just shoved his minimal pride aside and leaned forward. 

Ah.

He really had been drinking from him. His lips came into contact with warm blood almost immediately, making his fangs itch to bite. 

"Do you know what's wrong, Taru?" Vrasje asked as Marquise hungrily bit down, then began to drink again. 

"I think it's just his two systems conflicting with each other. He's not really a vampire, but he's definitely not just a werewolf anymore, either. It also doesn't help that his body has been trying to repair so much rot, which doesn't allow for proper blood circulation within the severely damaged areas," Taru said.