Chapter 22

Marquise hadn't expected Vrasje to spend so much, but the man had evidently not been joking about spoiling his little wolf! Lunch was already quite expensive since he'd ordered a lot of dishes for them to share, but then they began wandering through the bustling market... 

Through greetings and questions from the locals, now that most knew who, and more-importantly, what he was, Marquise was dragged from this booth to that booth, group to group, then into stores and down street after street. 

It didn't take long for him to become tired, but he refused to allow the other man to pick him up. 

"Do you think he'd like this?" Vrasje said as he held up the biggest bone Marquise had ever seen. 

This guy...

Lifting up one of the two bags he was already carrying, Marquise raised an eyebrow. 

"Are these not enough chew bones and toys? He's not that big." 

Vrasje gave him a look that quickly had him closing his mouth. Evidently his baby deserved more than eighty dollars worth of bones and toys. 

Marquise remained silent until the man had paid for the giant bone... as well as a few other things. Vrasje then joined him by the door and, after taking his two bags, moved all of the bags he was carrying to his right hand, then took Marquise's free hand. 

How can he carry that much? That has to be at least twenty or thirty pounds altogether. 

"Not a problem! I can carry much more than this if you need a lift," Vrasje said nonchalantly as they continued on their way. 

He knew that he wasn't going to request to be carried, though, so he didn't bother him much about it anymore, thankfully. He just shrugged off the joke. 

"Hey, how about we look in here?" 

Marquise turned his head as they slowed to a stop in front of a little candy shop. 

"I don't like sweet things. Did you want something from there?" Marquise asked right before he was tugged inside anyways. 

"Let me show you something. You might like it," Vrasje said as he set their bags down near the side of the counter, then led him to the back of the small shop and opened one of the containers lining the wall. 

Once he'd taken an item out, he turned and, after Marquise lifted a hand up, set a tiny little piece of hard candy in his palm. 

Hmm? 

"Give it a try. If you don't like it I'll take it. There's a couple things in here I think you might actually like," Vrasje said, making Marquise shrug one shoulder and lift the little candy to his mouth. 

Err...

It wasn't super sweet, but he soon found himself taking it out of his mouth anyways. He wasn't a fan of grapes. 

Vrasje hummed in thought as he took it from him and popped it into his own mouth. 

"Let's try something else," he said as he walked a few more steps, then opened another container with his clean hand. 

He then handed over a small piece of soft candy. 

Figuring that he might as well just keep trying things until the man was satisfied, Marquise lifted the item up to his mouth and took a small bite. 

It was a little better, but still not something he'd eat intentionally. 

"Not a fan of that one either, huh?" Vrasje asked as Marquise quickly took the opportunity to hand it back to the man... who promptly popped it into his own mouth again.