Chapter 12

"Are... are you sure this isn't a fox?" 

Marquise stared at the wall as he stood on the examination table. Evidently, the groomer was also the local vet. Lucky him. He could see Kova smirking out of the corner of his eye and knew that the man was now getting his revenge for having to be nice to a werewolf. 

Hmph, I can handle this. It's just a basic doctor visit and brushing. Maybe a bath, too. 

"He's definitely a wolf. I just wanted to ask if you would be open to grooming him for me? He'll behave," Vrasje said before adding a pointed looking toward him. 

Yeah yeah, I'll behave as long as he behaves. 

Vrasje lifted a hand and began sifting it through Marquise's thick fur as he returned his attention to the groomer. 

"He's pretty malnourished but we're working on that, and I understand that this situation is a bit odd, but he'll be staying with me for a while so I'd like it if he didn't shed too much." 

The groomer seemed a bit startled, at first, but when Marquise simply remained standing still and kept his eyes averted, the man slowly calmed down. 

"I suppose I can help you since he doesn't seem aggressive," the man said as he nervously began getting his grooming tools together. 

Thankfully, he didn't see a need for a bath, which left him to simply check his teeth, structure, and then get busy on his coat. 

"This... is an impressive amount of fur," the man said after a short fifteen minutes. 

He'd decided to start from the front and work his way back, but to everyone's surprise, Marquise's fluffy neck just wouldn't stop producing fur!

"This might take awhile. He seems like a reasonable fella, would you care to leave him with me?" the man asked as he continued to work. 

He wasn't a huge fan of the brush the man was using, as it was some sort of rake and was pulling at his undercoat a bit, but he couldn't argue that the fur was really piling up.  

"I'll stay," Vrasje said immediately, then added, "Taru, Kova, you guys can leave if you want. I'll bring him back to my mansion when we're done here." 

Taru seemed hesitant to leave, but Kova somehow managed to convince him. Marquise wasn't exactly a fan of being left alone without his master, but he honestly didn't mind it as much as he thought he would, either. 

So, resolved to have to earn the food he'd eaten, Marquise tried to relax as the man worked. Vrasje tried to calm him with a head pat every so often, too, but eventually Marquise just nudged his hand away and flicked an ear. 

I am not a dog, lord Vrasje. 

Yes, he liked head pats, but the guy was practically petting him instead of just tapping his head. He was already in a stressful enough situation, he didn't need to be given any extra attention right then. 

Thankfully, Vrasje seemed to understand and backed away a few steps to give him some much-needed space. The groomer, however, didn't seem to be reading the situation all that much and just continued with his work, which was preferred. The faster he got done, the faster he could go home and rest. He had eaten quite a bit right before being brought it. 

"Alright, I've got the first part done. You've got quite a coat on you, little guy," the groomer said as he began working on his midsection. 

Thankfully, most of that fur was thinner, except for the area leading down to his belly, but even that portion didn't hold nearly has much fluff as his chest and neck had.