Chapter 25

"Sweetheart!"

It felt like heaven being in his master's arms again. The head pats were the best, and the quiet coos of praise made his heart soar.

When they finally separated Marquise was all smiles.

"You look like you've been very well. Ah, Kova has been working on something for you all night. It's just a prototype, but it might help!"

Marquise watched as his master excitedly took the item from Kova, then presented it to him right as Vrasje walked into the room. He'd been keeping track of his servants as they set up a large lunch for them and said that he'd be a few minutes late.

"Ah, the brace. You are truly gifted with your hands, lord Kova," Vrasje said as he walked over and gently took the item from Marquise with curiosity.

"Let's eat first, then perhaps we can see if Pepper would like to try it on?"

Ah, that makes sense. It did look a bit too large for my leg.

He was a little upset at first, since he wasn't too sure about Pepper yet, but then used the calm Garlic was still wrapping him in and just silently sighed the stress away before it could build.

"That sounds good," he said before following Vrasje into the dining hall with his master and Kova chatting with him happily at his side.

Oh wow.

"Are others joining us?" he asked, confused about the insane amount of food present.

Vrasje shook his head as he grabbed a plate.

"It's buffet style. Take what you want. My servants will be allowed whatever is leftover," he said, making Marquise relieved that the food wouldn't go to waste.

He eagerly filled his plate, then sat down at the small table that had been prepared with goblets of blood, water, and wine. His master took the seat to his left while Vrasje settled to his right, with Kova directly across from him.

Neither of the vampires had much on their plates, but they gladly partook in the wine and blood as conversation started up. They spoke about all sorts of things, starting, of course, with the weather, but then quickly changing topics to the device that Kova had made for Pepper, and how to fit it correctly onto the large wolf. They then switched directions again and, to his surprise, asked him if he wanted to begin attending some of the upcoming social events.

Searching for an heir of his own was mentioned, but Marquise quickly dismissed that route. He was still struggling to maintain himself. He didn't need to bring another person into his world. He eventually agreed to go to a few get-togethers, but nothing specifically to meet possible heirs.

The discussion eventually returned to current events, and as time went on Marquise zoned out here and there as he poked at Garlic inside his mind. He was trying to nudge the pup back into its own body within his, but he just couldn't figure out how to detach him.

He wasn't really upset with the situation, but it made him feel kind of... awkward. Differently awkward. He wasn't used to having a wolf influencing him. Even back when he had Pepper as his main wolf, he still subdued it enough to keep it from affecting his decisions.

Are you okay, love?

Marquise snapped out of his thoughts and looked up, then relaxed when he noticed that Taru and Kova were still deep in conversation. That left him to turn his attention to a clearly-worried Vrasje.

The response he wanted to give was an obvious yes, but he really wasn't sure.

I'm not sure, but it's nothing bad, he eventually said, making Vrasje's expression calm a little.