Chapter 14

The next few days went by in relative peace. As in, almost peacefully. Besides being awoken up at ungodly hours of the day for breakfast... mainly shortly before noon, Marquise constantly had to weave around Vrasje. The man had evidently changed his work schedule to make sure that he was able to check in on him far too often. He was just always there, like a damned servant waiting on him hand and foot.   

And thus, they were at another impasse come Friday evening. Taru was working late at the hospital, and unfortunately had been most of the week. He'd stopped by for lunch once, but he wasn't around enough to notice that Marquise's bandages were becoming itchy and needed to be tended. 

He'd done the few that he could reach easily, but he knew that the area where he'd lost his right eye would need more attention than he was able to give. 

And now...

"Just let me take care of it. I have some medical knowledge, too. Stop being so stubborn," Vrasje said as he tried to step closer for the fifth time, only to receive a third warning growl and, finally, a bared fang from where Marquise sat on his bed. 

He could tell that the man was losing his patience, too, but that wasn't his fault! If he didn't want him touching his face, then he didn't have to let him. 

"I've never met such a stubborn dog," Vrasje grumbled as he turned around to continue pacing the same partial lap he'd done of half of the room for the past forty minutes. 

"I don't know how you haven't, because I'm looking right at one," Marquise fired back immediately, making Vrasje stop abruptly and lift shaky hands up to yank at his own long, raven-black hair before whirling around and pointing a finger right at him. 

"You need your darn bandages changed before the rot on your face begins to spread again!" he yelled, making Marquise scowl before kicking his legs up on his bed and lying down with his arms folded behind his head, dismissing the man with a huff. 

He could sense the temperature in the room immediately begin to rise again. It was already too warm because of Vrasje's frustration, but now it was beginning to make him sweat. 

He knew that he was literally playing with fire, but he was really getting annoyed with the man's constant attention. He'd left his former pack because of his terrible mistakes, and had intended to die as a lone wolf in the woods, but now... 

Now I'm dealing with an annoyingly obsessive vampire when I really belong to his heir, not him. 

He heard a huge sigh from the man in response to his thought, but when no words followed the sound, he glanced toward the doorway. He was still there, now leaning against the doorjamb with his arms crossed over his chest. 

Your hair is a mess, he thought to him with a slight grin. 

For an elder vampire, the man sure lost his temper at the slightest provocation. 

"And whose fault is that?" Vrasje growled, making Marquise roll his eyes and lower his head back down to one of his pillows. 

Silence stretched between them for another few moments before Vrasje decided to speak again. 

"Taru is going to be very upset next time he comes back and sees that his precious heir's injuries have worsened." 

Marquise felt his heart twitch in his chest as the right side of his face ached slightly. In all honesty, it had begun to hurt a few days ago, but he'd just brushed it off. Hell, he even hid it from Taru the day he had been over for lunch. 

"Listen, just let me change the bandage and clean up the wound if needed, then I'll leave you alone until Taru comes by. You won't see me at all," Vrasje said, making Marquise slowly push himself up onto his arms to stare at the man.