Chapter 5

(Sorry I totally forgot to reply to comments last chapter. Been sick and kind of out of it recently lol)

Something wasn't right.

Marquise was just conscious enough to sense the strange changes going on within his body. It was like the flame that had always been burning within him had suddenly turned into a roaring fire.

The thing that had provoked it into such a state, even when he was on the brink of death was expected, though.

Ice. Frigid, heart-stopping waves of it. It crawled through his veins and bones alike, freezing its way through his body with one target in mind. The warmth that kept his heart beating.

The fight between fire and ice felt like it dragged on forever, with neither side giving way to the other. His entire body shivered from the cold that suffused ninety-nine percent of it, but that last single holdout, his aching, feverish heart, refused to be extinguished.

Gasping abruptly, Marquise's eye opened painfully wide as he began to pant in order to find the oxygen his body was now starved of. Before he even understood what was going on, a wrist was pressed into his gaping mouth.

Without a single ounce of hesitation, he bit down on that wrist, then chewed the skin feverishly until he was able to taste blood.

"It's okay, take as much as you need," a familiar voice said as Marquise began to swallow partial mouthfuls, having no patience to wait for the slowly flowing blood to accumulate.

His stomach growled loudly as he swallowed for the fifth time, then hesitated. He was no longer thirsty.

Hungry...

"Don't worry, young one, your stomach doesn't understand that it no longer needs food. It will hurt for a while, then calm itself," an unfamiliar voice said as Marquise felt the faintest pressure against his upper chest.

"The heart, however, I am confused about. It is not unheard of for it to still beat slowly within a vampire's chest, especially to aid in circulation when they are low on blood, but you have already completed the ritual two days ago, yet it still pumps as if you have overexerted yourself greatly," the voice continued.

"Is everything okay besides that, elder Kova?" Taru asked, his voice hopeful but nervous.

The other man sighed quietly as his thumb moved against Marquise's skin slightly.

"I want to say that it is, but you know how much of a risk it is to change someone, let alone a person in such terrible shape," the elder replied calmly.

Even Marquise understood that changing someone into a vampire wasn't just a bit of biting and drinking. Their body had to be compatible and in good enough shape to handle the abrupt change. His was definitely not in good shape, and whether or not his body was compatible was completely up to the werewolf still sealed inside of him.

Wait a second...

Blinking his tired eye a few times, Marquise turned his now-bandaged head to the left, then slowly to the right, trying to remove the wrist that was still settled between his teeth.

"Should I really let him stop already? He couldn't have gotten much yet," Taru said as he kept his wrist firmly but gently between Marquis's lips.

The other man seemed to think through Taru's question for a moment before evidently making a gesture that Marquise couldn't see. Either way, whatever he did had Taru removing his wrist from his mouth, allowing him to close his aching jaw and lick the remaining blood from his lips.

"Marquise? How are you feeling?" Taru asked as he leaned closer and reached up, feeling his forehead, then cheek.

"He's still a little warm," he said as he looked over at the man on Marquise's left side.