Multitalented Head Disciple

Jiang Fengmian looked at his nephew. His voice was firm, commanding even, "A-ying, can we have a short moment?"

Xiao Zhan nodded and followed Jiang Fengmian to a corner not too far away from the others but far enough for their conversation to stay between the two of them. He saw Lan Wangji casted a worried glance towards him and he offered a reassuring smile as a sign that it was fine.

The Second Young Master Lan reluctantly gave them privacy. The Jiang sibling seemed to be curious as well but they turned their heads away when they caught their father's eyes.

"What is it, Uncle Jiang?" Xiao Zhan could almost see the gears turning behind the man's eyes as if trying to decide whether he should continue or not.

Jiang Fengmian looked at him remorsefully as he spoke, "A-Ying, I apologize for yesterday. I know I had stepped out of line. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable by bringing it up. I didn't ask your opinion and I was too consumed of our clan's current situation that I neglected to listen to yours. If there is anything at all..."

Xiao Zhan did not wait for him to finish, he shrugged, "No, it's alright. It wasn't a big deal."

Jiang Fengmian wasn't entirely convinced with his answer, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, Uncle Jiang. It was just one moment and I know you were thinking and worrying of our sect's future. I am too and I will do what I can to protect everyone." Xiao Zhan said reassuringly. He knew what he said was probably partially true. The incident already fleeting. It did however bring some concerns for Xiao Zhan, namely, if it would happen again in future. He was already busy with too many issues at the first place. Too many people with problems he alone couldn't solve and he couldn't possibly help everyone. A war was impending and there were thousands of lives needed to be saved. It was exhausting to think about. The last thing Xiao Zhan wanted was more trouble for him than what he already faced. He would rather avoid it as much as possible.

"Alright, if you say so." His uncle smiled down at him. "Now, A-Ying, I didn't get the chance to ask this properly. How do you feel? How was your injury?"

Xiao Zhan lifted his palm up showing the recovering diagonal pale pink bumps, "I feel fine. It wasn't that bad and it almost fully healed now."

Jiang Fengmian examined it closer and sighed in relief. "That's good." He then smiled, "I am glad that Second Young Master Lan took a good care of you when you were unconscious. He was persistent of sharing his spiritual energies until he was positive that you were in better shape."

Xiao Zhan smiled as he stole a quick look at the Lan Wangji. His heart swelled to know how much concern and affection the man held for him. In fact, Lan Wangji never stopped making efforts to protect and went all out to sincerely help Xiao Zhan since he first came clean about who he is. He  blurted mindlessly, "He would probably do anything for me and to protect me."

"And I understand why he did that." Jiang Fengmian turned to look at Lan Wangji before returning his gaze at Xiao Zhan. Judging at how the two looked at each other, he saw the affection in both their eyes and knew there was nothing that could possibly keep them apart now. If anything, the two seemed more determined than ever to stay together. He continued. "You two are very close after all."

"A-ying." He pulled Xiao Zhan's attention back to him. "You know that you are still young and that Second Young Master Lan is also young."

"Mm... What about us, Uncle Jiang?" Xiao Zhan replied, knowing full well where this conversation was heading. There was no question to what his uncle needed to talk about. He bit on his lower lips, feeling a little on the edge.

Jiang Fengmian reached out his hand and placed it on his nephew's shoulder, "I know there was something going on between the two of you."

Xiao Zhan couldn't deny it.