Crisis of blade and identity

Xiao Zhan opened his eyes to see Bichen almost translucent blade aimed horizontally across his neck. Alarms blaring in his mind. He was petrified like a statue.

The fuck is wrong with this guy? Is he really going to kill me? Should I fear for my life?

He swallowed down a gulp. It felt like he just swallowed a pebble. With his heart in his mouth, he spoke in an undertone," Err....Second Young Master Lan. Isn't it impolite to attack someone who is unarmed?"

Lan Wangji's eyes motioned to the sword in Xiao Zhan's hand as he spoke glacially," Pick up your sword."

Hearing his apathetic response, Xiao Zhan felt anger was rising from his core. "Why are you doing this? Even you do not believe me, you should just use your words. Not violence."

" Sword. Pick it up." Lan Wangji stook a step back, widening the distance between them but his sword was still unmoving from the targeted body part.

"You little...Fine!" Infuriated, Xiao Zhan pulled Suibian out from its scabbard with displeasure.

This is probably the dumbest idea! But there is no way in hell I will die without fighting!

This was nothing like filming the drama. There were no cameras, no wire, no huge fan, no cinematic props, or green screens. This was matter-of-fact real. One wrong move, blood would be drawn. One misstep, life might be lost.

As the swords clashed, the sound of loud metal clunked, and bright sparks followed. Lan Wangji's swordsmanship was brilliant and impactful. Every strike was heavy and powerful and yet the second Jade of Lan still looked graceful. The end of white silky fabric of his cloud motive attire swirled and the tail of forehead ribbons flowed with every movement, making him look like a deity who just descended from heaven. Watching him was like listening to angels sing.

To his own astonishment, Xiao Zhan parried, deflected, and dodged every incoming attack effortlessly in perfect timings. He already knew that he retained Wei Wuxian abilities and skills, but he never fights with real swords before. He was nimble and light on his feet. His body double-jointed flexibility makes his motions looked fluid. He swiveled and wrapped around the heavy the inbound unrestrained blows like poetry in motion. It was like they were just harmonically dancing.

One completed the other. Like Yin and Yang. They were on an equal footing with each other. The perfect match.

Before he knew it, Xiao Zhan was starting to enjoy the thrill and get a buzz out of the sudden duel. Like those times in between filming takes, the childish tomfoolery and playing pretend to fight with Yibo. He was full of vim and vigor without a care in the world. Just like that, he momentarily forgot about his misfortunes, dilemmas, and the embarrassing dramatic solo. In brief, he felt supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

It felt like hours had already passed when they finally brought to a halt. Lan Wangji looked content as he sheathed his sword. There was not even a trace of frazzle or tiredness on his face.

Xiao Zhan flopped onto the ground as the adrenaline rush no longer fueled him and fatigue came crashing in one go. Sprawling his limbs separate and catching his breath, he could only glare angrily at Lan Wangji's impassive drop-dead gorgeous face. He whined, "Urgh, this is unfair."

"It's hard to believe." Lan Wangji confessed in a monotonic voice. "Your story."

Xiao Zhan still could see that coming but he did not comprehend of the motive of sudden sparring. Holding back his agitation, he gritted his teeth as he blurted out, "Alright. I get that. But did you have to do that? Why do you have to do that?"

Lan Wangji was like a tower, standing a feet away beside his spreadeagled body. His glance was as frosty and chilly as usual, he answered curtly, "To confirm."

"What do you want to confirm by aiming your sword on my neck? What if I got hurt? Huh?" Xiao Zhan said brusquely as he sprang up to his feet and gave Lan Wang Ji a death stare. He pointed his index finger at the tall figure and cursed in Korean (the habit he developed while bickering with Yibo), "*You. Bastard."

Lan Wangji ignored the odd language and went on to say," It's the same skill as that night on the roof."

Xiao Zhan glowered, "Of course it is. Why would it be different?"

Lan Wangji," Exactly."

Xiao Zhan really wanted to strangle that Lan young rascal. His words flowed like he was spitting bullets, "What exactly? which? How? Why? What are you implying? Please do elaborate it in more than one word."

With a straight face, Lan Wangji answered firmly," You are Wei Ying."

"No. I am not. Did you even listen to what I said just now?" Xiao Zhan immediately retorted.

"I did." Lan Wangji insisted. "You're still Wei Ying."

"I am not!"

"You are."

"..."

"..."

"...", Xiao Zhan wanted to deny again but he realized it would be futile. He knew Lan Wangji's personality quite well. A stubborn, obstinate, headstrong, unyielding and unwavering soul.

Fine! Fine! If he wants proofs, let's give it to him.

In Lan Wangji's eyes, apart from his personality and behavioral changes (and that foreign words), Wei Wuxian's appearance and skills were the same. The man even troubled his psyche just the same.

Prove that you're not him.