chapter 22

2 months later

~Harry~

I walked into Anna's apartment and shut the door behind me, hanging my coat on the hook. I called out her name and got no response. Furrowing my eyebrows, I walked into the kitchen and there was a mug of untouched tea on the counter. I made my way through the apartment and finally ventured into her bedroom. The bathroom door was shut and I heard a heave before the toilet flushed. I hesitantly opened the bathroom door and Anna was sitting on the tile floor with her face buried in her knees.

"Anna?" I said quietly and she looked up at me, tears on her face.

"Sorry, I forgot you were coming over." She sniffled and wiped her tears. "Just give me a minute."

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked and sat down next to her.

"I'm sorry." She whispered and I frowned as she tugged at her blue hair. "I didn't want this to happen, I mean, we're only twenty. I'm sorry."

"Anna, what happened?" She finally looked up at me and I saw the fear and pain in her eyes.

"I've been feeling sick for a few weeks and my period was late so I went to the doctor." I felt my face fall, knowing where this was going. "I'm pregnant, Harry."

"What?" My voice faltered and I ran a hand through my hair. "How can you?" I ran out of words and Anna sniffled.

"I don't know." She whispered and I let out a shaky breath. "I've ruined your life and your career because of this. And I can't raise a kid, I'm still a kid myself. You're probably going to leave me again and-"

"Stop." I whispered and she looked up at me, tears trickling down her face. "I'm not gonna leave you."

"Please don't stay with me just because of this." She said and her voice broke. "I've had people in my life stay with me because they didn't have a choice. You have a choice."

"And I choose you." I nudged our knees and she smiled a little. "This wasn't planned but we will figure something out. We always do."

------------
4 months later

~Anna~

I gasped, sitting up in bed as pain shot through my abdomen. I pressed a hand to my lower stomach but pulled it back, feeling liquid. I looked at my hand to see crimson and my eyes widened. I stood up from the bed and noticed a small puddle of blood on the sheets.

"Harry," I whisper yelled and he grumbled, rolling over.

"Shit, did you pee?" He mumbled and sat up against the head board.

"Harry, I'm bleeding. Something is wrong."

He immediately stood up and pulled on pants and a t-shirt. I slowly pulled a pair of new underwear and some yoga pants up my legs. I pulled a coat on over my shirt and slipped my Vans on, following Harry to the door. We walked down the steps and once to the car, I gripped the door, fear overcoming me. Harry gave me a shaky, reassuring smile and I climbed into his Range Rover. We drove to the hospital and he grabbed my hand when we were out of the car.

"Can I help you?" The receptionist smiled at us and I squeezed Harry's hand, afraid that if I spoke I would break down.

"She woke up bleeding and she's pregnant." Hardy said and his voice faltered.

"Let's get you two a doctor." She sadly smiled and led us to a small space, protected by a curtain. I sat up on the bed and after a few minutes the doctor walked in.

"What seems to be the problem?" He smiled at us. He was too happy for it to be three in the morning.

"I woke up because I felt a sharp pain and I realized I was bleeding." I said quietly and Harry grabbed my hand from where he was sitting.

"Would you mind lifting your shirt and I can do an ultrasound?" I nodded and handed Harry my coat before pulling my shirt up over the small bump. "Let's have a look."

He squirt the clear gel on my protruding stomach and rubbed it around with the wand thingy. After hooking it up to the machine, he ran the thing across my stomach and watched the monitor. After a few minutes he sighed a little and I bit my lip, waiting for him to tell us.

"Where is the heartbeat? You can usually hear it." Harry asked anxiously and the doctor turned the monitor off before looking at us.

"I'm very sorry, but it seems you've had a miscarriage." I felt a lump in my throat and Harry let go of my hand to tug at his messy curls. "We can get you into surgery to get it removed as soon as possible."

"Thanks." I felt the breath leave my mouth. The doctor left and Harry stood up, tugging at his hair. I jumped as he kicked his chair and he sat back down, running a hand down his face.

"Harry," I whispered and he looked up at me, tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You should be." He replied, harshly and I flinched at the tone of his voice.

--------------

the next morning

"Alright, how are you feeling?" Doctor Allan came into the room and I shrugged. "So, we were looking at the scans from your surgery and found something that I think you should know about."

"What did you find?" I asked and he sighed, sitting in his swivel chair next to my hospital bed.

"Ms. Wolff, I'm so sorry but we found three different spots of cancer in your lungs. Now, it's stage 4 so we'll have to do chemotherapy and radiation."

"Cancer?" I breathed out and he nodded.

"We can make an appointment to discuss treatment and other options. But for now, why don't you go home and get some rest. Call tomorrow and we can make an appointment." He gave me a sad smile and I nodded, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. "Is Mr. Styles still here to take you home?"

"Um, he left last night but I can call someone else." I stumbled over my words and Doctor Allan nodded, helping me to the door. I pulled my phone out and dialed Liam's number before pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hey Anna? Why are you calling so early?" Liam picked up and I let out a deep breath. "Everything alright?"

"Can you come pick me up?" I asked quietly and pulled my jacket closer to my body. "I'm at the hospital."

"I'll be there in five." He hung up and I leaned against the wall, scrolling through Instagram.

"Hey, how's it going?" Liam asked as I climbed into his car. "I thought Harry would be with you."

"Can you just take me home, please?" I asked quietly and my voice broke. "I've had a really rough night and I just want to be in my own bed."

"Yeah, sure." He smiled at me and drove away from the hospital.

-------

"Harry," I called out as I walked into the apartment.

"In here." He yelled and I followed his voice to the nursery.

All the furniture and chairs were broken and scattered around Harry who was sitting on the floor, against the wall. He had bloodshot eyes and large purple bags under them. I sat down next to him and pulled my coat closer to my flat stomach. I leaned my head back on the yellow wall and pulled my knees to my chest, wincing from the pain in my abdomen.

"I'm sorry for leaving." He whispered and I nodded.

"Harry, I'm dying." I said quietly after a few minutes.

"I know that you feel awful right now because of losing the baby, but you'll be okay. It's killing me inside too but you just have to stay strong."

"I have cancer."