chapter 11

2 weeks later

~Anna~

"Hey, can we break for a couple minutes? My phone keeps ringing." I asked and set my microphone down. Jackson nodded and turned off the sound. I jumped down from the stage and grabbed my phone, answering it just in time.

"Hi, is this Anna Wolff?" The woman on the other end of the call asked.

"Yes, who is this?" I sat down in one of the stadium chairs and crossed my ankles.

"I'm calling from the Holmes Chapel hospital. I have down here that you are in relation to David Wolff." I mumbled a yes. "I was just calling to inform you that he has passed away due to overdose. I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thanks for the call." I felt my voice crack and I hung up.

"Anna, you ready?" Jackson called out and I shook my head.

"I'm fine. I can figure it out tonight." I answered and shoved my phone in my back pocket.

I walked back around the stage and to my dressing room. I shut the door behind me and sat down in the chair that sat in front of my mirror. I leaned my head in my hands and squeezed my eyes shut, trying not to let any tears fall. I swallowed the lump in my throat and let out a shaky breath.

"Makeup time!" Lou called out before coming into the dressing room. I let out a breath and faked a smile for her. "Dark or natural tonight? Curly or straight?"

"Dark and curly." I mumbled and slouched in my seat.

Lou pulled out her curling wand and plugged it up, turning on the lamp next to us. I pulled out my phone and checked Twitter and Instagram before shutting it off. I watched in the dirty mirror as Lou curled my hair and shook it out, making it look kind of wild.

"You alright hun?" She asked as she caught my eye.

"Yeah, just a lot on my mind." I said quietly and let her start putting makeup on me.

"All done." I smiled a little at my reflection, looking at the dark eye makeup and big hair.

"Can we come in?" I heard Louis yell from outside the door and Lou went to open it. All five boys stumbled in and I pulled my knees to my chest. Lou began working on their hair and I sighed, looking down.

"Hey," Harry smiled, sitting down next to me. I offered a small smile and rested my chin on my knees. "what's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine." I mumbled.

"You obviously aren't fine." Harry sighed and then poked me in the stomach. "What's going on?"

"It doesn't matter, just drop it." I became agitated at him for no reason and it was like I couldn't stop the words spewing from my mouth.

"C'mon, just tell me." He whined. "Pleaseeeee."

"Harry, I told you to drop it! Quit asking if I'm fine and just leave me alone, okay?" I said loudly and the whole room got quiet, everyone's gaze falling on me.

I quickly got up from my chair and went to the other dressing room, where Caroline was, and sat on one of the couches. I wiped off a tear that I didn't even realize had fallen and groaned to myself. I grabbed a pillow and yelled profanities into it, frustrated that I yelled at Harry. He was only trying to help.

"What did the boy do this time?" Caroline came up behind me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"He wouldn't leave me alone." I said, the pillow muffling my voice.

"How about we get you a cup of coffee and calm down before you go on stage, alright?" I looked up to see her pouring a cup of coffee for me.

"Thanks, Caroline." I mumbled as she handed it to me. I took a sip and wrapped my hands around the paper cup, letting the heat warm up my hands.

"Dress or jeans tonight?" She asked, going over to the wrack of clothes that had my name on it.

"Surprise me." I sighed and she rummaged through all the clothes before throwing an outfit at me.

----------------

~Harry~

"Alright, I'm gonna slow it down for a minute." I watched Anna from the side stage and she sat down at the piano bench. "This is called Medicine."

"Pick it up, pick it all up.
And start again.
You've got a second chance,
you could go home.
Escape it all.
It's just irrelevant.
It's just medicine.
It's just medicine.

You could still be,
what you want to,
What you said you were,
when I met you.
You've got a warm heart,
you've got a beautiful brain.

But it's disintegrating,
from all the medicine.
from all the medicine."

During the song, Anna's voice cracked multiple times and during the last verse, she wiped a few tears. I furrowed my eyebrows and I guess the guys noticed her change in mood too because they all nudged me. I stepped closer to the stage and tried to get her attention. As she sang the last few lines, a sob left her mouth. She stopped playing the piano and stood up from the bench, running off the stage. Everyone in the crowd was confused, along with me, and I quickly caught Anna by the arm as she threw her microphone to the sound guy.

"Let go, Harry." Anna said, trying to wipe her tears. "I just want to be alone and to go sit in my dressing room and cry."

"Anna," I tried and she shoved me out of her way. "Hey, just take a deep breath." I followed her down the corridor and she spun around to face me.

"I don't want to take a fucking deep breath. I don't really want to breathe at all right now. So please leave me alone because I don't want you to see me cry."

Anna immediately broke down into sobs and I caught her before she fell to the floor. I wrapped my arms around her small frame and she cried into my chest, tears soaking through the thin black shirt. I rubbed up and down her back and watched as the guys ran down the hallway, stopping in their tracks at the sight. I waved them off and Liam gave me a questioning look before they all walked back. I walked me and Anna into the dressing room and shut the door. We sat down on the couch and Anna sniffled.

"Sorry," She said quietly and I shook my head. "I shouldn't have yelled at you, you were just trying to help."

"What's going on? You know that you can tell me, right?" Anna nodded and wiped her tears.

"I got a call from the Holmes Chapel hospital earlier and my dad had overdosed." Anna's voice faltered and I sighed. "He didn't make it."

"It's okay," I mumbled and pulled her into a hug as another round of sobs broke out. "You're okay."