Chapter 14 - AWAY

Kayden Grant

I woke at 6 in the morning to start my day and found Tatiana already gone. I walked down to the first floor and made myself some coffee. I opened the fridge to grab my cold water bottle when I saw all the food that she made last night.

I decided to heat the lasagna since she said it was her best cook and ate it. She wasn't wrong, and it was the best lasagna that I'd ever tasted in my entire life. I drank my coffee and went straight to the headquarters for work.

I texted Rex to ask her whereabouts.

Rex: I'm sorry, sir. I don't remember you telling me to watch her again. I'll find her and update you.
Kayden: Report to me every hour.
Rex: Yes, sir.

When I arrived at the headquarters, I ran into Clyde, who just arrived.

"How's Tatiana?" He asked casually, and I only wanted to punch him in the face. Instead of answering, I ignored him by going down to the basement. I grabbed my lab coat and safety glasses before going into my lab.

"Why are you here?" I turned to Mason and Anastasia, who were standing side by side with Mason.

"I can't be here?" I asked Mason the obvious.

"Aren't you supposed to be in Texas? Asher left at dawn." Mason said, and just by hearing his name, Ana flinched.

"Busy babysitting?" Ana smirked.

"Busy avoiding?" I hissed, and she glared at me.

"How's Tatiana? Is she doing well? Clyde should have handed her to me. I would take good care of her. Not to mention getting the Cullinan Mine shares for free." Mason grabbed his lab coat, and Ana excused herself.

"She's a handful."

"How handful, Grant? Is it handful enough to keep her in your apartment?" Fucking Leroy and Hugo.

"I don't have time for your dry humor, Calland." I put on my safety glasses and entered my lab. I decided to kill time by developing my newest bullet. Then I'll go to Texas at 10 in the afternoon.

Rex: She's eating breakfast. A plate is full of chocolate chip pancakes.

Good for her.

Tatiana Knight

I had never felt happier in my life.

I ate chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast and had my first caramel macchiato in a cafe called Call Me Latte. I read about everything I had to prepare for medical school.

I'm excited.

After that, I spent an hour searching for books related to the medical field. I got out with five books about cardiologists and surgeons.

"Ms.Knight." I stopped when I saw Hugo. He scared me for a second for calling me Ms.Knight instead of using my real last name.

"Hugo, how did you find me?" I asked, and he gestured for me to get into the car.

"Mr.Grant is waiting for you." Hugo opened the door, and I found Kayden inside the car.

"Is everything okay? Am I in trouble?" My heart was beating fast, and I was nervous.

"You're coming with me to Texas. You can spend time there while I work. We'll come back here later at night." I smiled, nodding. His eyes landed on the paper bag, and I took out all the books I bought.

"I just bought some books. I'm excited to read them. Can I read it on the plane?" I asked as I showed him all the books, and Kayden didn't seem impressed by my actions. He gave zero expression. I slowly put it back into the bag and looked out the window.

"You want to be a cardiologist?" I slowly turned my head to him.

"I still don't know if I want to be a cardiologist or a surgeon. I think I'm leaning towards cardiologist more." Just thinking of it gave me butterflies. I wanted to be a doctor so badly that I was willing to risk everything.

"11 years before becoming one." He commented, and I nodded.

"One day, when I become a doctor, if you need me, I'll treat you for free."

"I'll die on your surgery table." He will never stop being mean, won't he? I didn't even bother to react to his comment.

We arrived at the airport, and he was using his private jet. Hugo opened the door from my side, and I got out first, thanking him. I walked towards the plane first and turned to Kayden, who brought all the books I had bought with him.

I ran towards him to bring it, but he walked past me.

"Is he always like this?" I asked Hugo, who stood beside me.

"This is my first time seeing him this nice." Hugo then gave the car key to the guard and gestured for me to enter the plane. As soon as I entered the plane, I grabbed all the books from him and sat as far as possible from Kayden.

He was sitting face to face with Hugo, and I picked the seat at the back. I clapped my hands, looking at my books.

The plane took off five minutes later, and I started to read my first book. I kept yawning because I didn't sleep a lot last night. I tried to finish the first chapter but failed because I fell asleep.

Kayden Grant

"She's sleeping, sir," Hugo said, and I turned my head around to see her leaning against the wall. She was hugging her legs with the book still open on her knees.

"Should I turn the light off, Mr.Grant?" I snapped my head to Hugo, who knew I was working. He gave me an awkward smile before moving to another seat at the front.

I got up from my seat and walked towards her. I took the book away from her and put it on the table. I took off her seatbelt and picked it up so she could sleep in the room right behind her seat.

I laid her on the bed and put the seatbelt on in case of turbulence.

I stood up straight, putting my hands into my pocket, observing her. I still don't understand why I brought her on this trip.