Chapter 9 - SADNESS

Kayden Grant

I've encountered countless people who dared to defy me, and usually, they surrendered everything after I put them on edge. They ended up saying sorry and cooperating with me.

Not Tatiana.

She waited until the end to agree with me.

Now she's sitting in my car with Hugo, driving us to my apartment. She was looking down at her feet, and she looked like she was holding her tears. Her feet were severely injured because she was running through Seattle barefoot.

She didn't even realize it was hurting until she stopped. That's how desperate she was.

"Tatiana," I called her, and she slowly turned to me. Her eyes were filled with tears like she was crying silently. She turned away, and I decided not to say anything to her.

When we arrived at my apartment, Hugo opened the door for us. I got out first and put my hand out for her to hold. She ignored it and got out by herself.

"Thank you." She said to Hugo, and without any warning, I picked her up bridal style because she wasn't able to walk properly.

"Get Trisha here and get all her things from Victor," I told Hugo, and I turned around to go to my apartment. Tatiana didn't have any energy left even to protest anymore.

As soon as I entered my penthouse, I put her on the sofa, and she looked up at me.

"I will give you all the 12 percent shares of Cullinan Mine, but I'll give you one percent every month." She said without looking at me.

"You'll protect me from my family and the FBI. You'll give me a new identity as Tatiana Knight. You'll-"

"You have my word. I'll protect you and be your fiance for a year." I cut her, and she nodded. "Take a rest. Hugo will be the one who will take care of your apartment for the time being."

I left her to go to my room and change my clothes. I stopped walking toward my closet when I heard a muffled sob. I walked out of my room slowly to see her.

She's crying in silence.

Something within me led my body towards her, but I stopped when I was about to go downstairs. Instead of approaching her, I returned to my room and changed my clothes.

"Where are you?" I asked Hugo on the phone.

"Grabbing all Ms.Clifford's belongings from Victor, sir. What can I help you with?"

"I want you to receive all her packages for her apartment. Assign Josh to do her interior. I want it to be done by Monday."

"Yes, sir. Anything else?"

"That's all." I ended the call and dialed Tiff's number. Tiffany is my other personal assistant. She usually handles my schedule.

"Yes, Mr.Grant."

"Buy all the food from Table 8 and bring it to my apartment. Serve it to my fiancee right away. I want you to buy her some clothes and all the necessities after you bring her food."

"Yes, sir. Anything else that I can help with?"

"Buy her a new phone and make sure to put all of your contacts inside. Leave the members out, and from now on, you'll be her assistant. Her words are a law for you." I looked at myself in the mirror, angry at something I didn't know.

"Very well, sir." I ended the call and walked out of my room. I went downstairs, and Tatiana roamed the kitchen for something.

"What do you need?" I asked, and she turned to me.

"Can I have a glass of water?" I opened the fridge, revealing ten water bottles in it. I grabbed one and gave it to her.

"Thank you." She opened it and drank it all.

My eyes landed on her eyes. It's so puffy and has a shade of pink on them. She avoided my eyes as much as possible. I was about to say something, but the doorbell rang.

It's Trisha, a doctor from the headquarters.

"Good afternoon, sir." I gestured for her to get inside. "She injured her feet. treat her and give her some medicine." Trisha introduced herself to Tatiana, and Tatiana greeted her with a smile even though she wasn't feeling it.

"I'm going back to work. Tiffany, my secretary, will come here to bring you food." I said, hoping that she would turn to me. Instead, she gave me a slight nod.

With that, I left.

Tatiana Clifford

"This is too much food for me to eat." My brain can't even process how much food is on the table now. This could feed at least ten people.

"Please sit down and eat with me."

"I'm sorry, Ms.Clifford. I have to go. I have more work." She said as she stepped back.

"I'll just take one, and you can eat it and share it with your colleague." I grabbed a steak and turned to her, hoping she would take everything away.

I'm not wasting food.

"Very well."

"Thank you so much." I helped her pack everything, and she went on her merry way.

I ate my steak with a beautiful view of Seattle.

This feels like a dream. I've been dreaming of freedom since I was 5. It happened after I saw kids my age running around in the park. Their parents were waiting for them, sitting on the bench.

I was jealous.

I've never been out freely my entire life. That freedom was my goal, and becoming a doctor is second.

I hope everything goes smoothly, especially Kayden. Even though he's not easy to cooperate with, I will get the protection I need and a fake fiance to ensure my stay here.

An hour later, the doorbell rang, and I opened it, revealing Hugo. He brought all my stuff back, and Tiffany also came with a new phone and many shopping bags.

"Thank you so much." I thanked them as I looked at all the things they had brought. "I don't think I need a new phone," I said as I returned the new phone.

"Mr.Grant insisted, and he took your old phone away." I really can't do anything if Kayden was the one who ordered them.

"Very well. What time will he come home today?" I asked both of them.

"According to schedule, his work will finish at six, but we never know if Mr.Grant has more plans," Tiffany said after checking his schedule on her phone.

"Okay then, thank you."

"One last thing, Ms.Clifford. In your new phone, we already put our contacts in there, so feel free to call or text if you need us." Tiffany smiled sweetly, and I nodded.