Chapter 58: Dead Wife

Gu Cheng Yao didn't know what was wrong with him, suddenly on this quiet winter night, he remembered his first wife Gao Xi.

Gao Xi passed away in December last year, which was also a snowy winter day. As soon as Gu Cheng Yao returned from outside, he was told that Shizi Consort had gone.

What was his mood at that time? He didn't know, he just remember that he was very shocked. Because the jade pendant's matter he had prejudice against Gao Xi. Later, he didn't like her domineering personality, so he even more didn't want to go back to see her. It wasn't until Gao Xi died of illness on that heavy snowy day that Gu Cheng Yao knew that Gao Xi's illness was already serious.

Before that, he had always thought that was just the inner house women's blackmailing trick.

Gu Cheng Yao learned about Gao Xi's news all through Bu Mama and Yun Hui. What he heard the most all day long was generally how Shizi Consort kicked people around and how she relied on her family background to bullied the old servants of the mansion. A gentleman, of course, should pity the poor and cherish the weak, as a results it was difficult for Gu Cheng Yao to have a good impression of his wife. Later, Gao Xi's news gradually disappeared. He began to think that Gao Xi realized her tricks were useless, aware enough that she was embarrassing herself so she restrained herself. It was a long time later he realized that Gao Xi had stopped the news and prevented people from passing it to him. However, Gu Cheng Yao never expected that when he heard the news of Gao Xi again, it turned out to be the news of Gao Xi's death.

At that time he was standing under the hall, the white snowflakes kept falling from above onto his shoulders. Gu Cheng Yao stood in the wind for a while before slowly remembering that before he went out today, it seemed that there was indeed a maid who came over and invited him to see Shizi Consort. He was anxious to go out at the time, and disliked Gao Xi to use such tricks to lead him back, so he didn't take it seriously and sent her away. It turned out that should be the last time he and Gao Xi met, but he still didn't go back.

Gu Cheng Yao finally went to the backyard to visit his Shizi consort. Gao Xi's house was as quiet and orderly as before, completely couldn't tell that its mistress no longer there. Gao Xi was extremely strict with her servants. Gu Cheng Yao had always felt that Gao Xi who easily punished at every turn was no good. But at that moment he was standing in the house where Gao Xi was alive. Although the servants had red eyes but they didn't dare to be noisy, the people although messy but not also chaotic. Gu Cheng Yao was surprised that Gao Xi's prestige among her servants was so strong that even when she died, no one dare to disobey her rules while she's still alive

Was this the situation where Gao Xi was not favored and seriously ill in bed for a year?

When the attending maids saw him, they bowed their heads to avoid him, as if he was not in the house. Some of the maids were probably Gao Xi's close attendants. When they saw Gu Cheng Yao, their faces were indignant, but they were immediately taken by the people next to them.

Gu Cheng Yao thought that he should go to see Gao Xi one last time. Those few maids were very unwilling. One maid even said, "When Shizi Consort was seriously ill did not see Shizi come even once. Now that Shizi Consort's heart has stop beating and the entanglement has been broken, Shizi instead come over, why is that? Shizi Consort walked by herself to get peace and quietness, why should Shizi disturb her death?"

The maid dressed in silk was pinched by someone next to her before she finished speaking. She could only reluctantly shut her mouth and bowed her head angrily. Gu Cheng Yao had been pampered since he was a child, when was the last time he was contradict by people like this? The suffocation that had been lingering in his heart since learning Gao Xi's death diminished a lot. Gu Cheng Yao wanted to turn around and leave directly. Who are these maids dare to spur him? But Gu Cheng Yao didn't leave. He let his personal attendant pulled away the white cloth. Separated by life and death, he saw Gao Xi for the last time.