Chapter 18: Net Worth

After Wan Xing inquired about it for several days, Lin Wei Xi finally pieced together the truth about the dowry.

Last year Gao Xi died of illness, and Yan Wang Mansion had a flourishing business, naturally they would not be greedy for their daughter-in-law's dowry, so Gao Xi's dowry was hand over to Duke Yingguo Mansion intact. And the Duke Yingguo Mansion's idea of ​​remarrying a girl with the surname Gao came in, with a very generous dowry. Later, Duke Yingguo Shizi and Gu Cheng Yao reached an agreement to let Gao Ran married in as the second wife. The Duke Yingguo Mansion was overjoyed. At that time, to won over Gao Ran they transferred all of Gao Xi's dowry to Gao Ran, and also set aside some silver as protection money for Gao Ran.

Gao Xi was the eldest di granddaughter of Duke Mansion so her dowry was very considerable, and she also her mother Wei shi's only child. Wei shi's dowry plus the dowry prepared by Duke Yingguo Mansion, and the private subsidy by Grand Princess Shou Kang, Gao Xi's net worth could well be imagined.

Later, Gao Xi died of illness without having any children. If the married daughter had no children, the dowry must be returned to the parent's family. At that time, Gao Ran's re-marriage was already firmly established. If Duke Yingguo Madam wanted to win over the in-laws of Yan Wang Mansion, then Gao Ran's attitude was very important. Duke Yingguo Madam was bleeding heavily and transferred most of Gao Xi's dowry to Gao Ran, adding another four new sets of head ornaments and jewelry. However, Gao Xi's dowry was still contains Wei shi's stuffs. If it was an ordinary daughter-in-law, Duke Yingguo Madam, the mother-in-law, could directly call the shots, but Wei shi was a princess's daughter, which made it a bit tricky.

Wei shi has been dead for many years, she only had one daughter under her knees, so all Wei shi's dowry should be inherited by Gao Xi, and her family had no right to recover it. The trouble was Gao Xi also passed away at a young age, and she did not leave any descendants. Duke Yingguo Mansion was very anxious when handling Gao Xi's estate. Although Grand Princess Shou Kang had no successors over the years, and the family was in decline, but as long as Princess Shou Kang still alive for one day, she would still be an imperial family, the grandaunt of the current emperor. The decline of the Princess Shou Kang Mansion was the imperial family's own business. If outsiders dare not to give face to the princess, then they would be at odds with the imperial clan.

Duke Yingguo Mansion still had scruples about this senior princess, and could only politely passed the words to the princess mansion, asking how the Grand Princess Shou Kang would handle Gao Xi's and even Wei shi's dowry.

Grand Princess Shou Kang had enjoyed the imperial worship for a lifetime. When she opened her own account, she didn't have to suffer from her mother-in-law and sister-in-law opinions. Her property was nothing but a worldly possessions, and she was not obsess with it. Although the princess mansion where Shou Kang lives now bears her title, after she dies, the princess mansion would be taken back by the imperial clan and would be awarded to another princess after they repair it. It had nothing to do with fuma's family. Grand Princess Shou Kang did not have a son, and the huge family property would be returned to the national treasury after death, so the dowry of the married daughter was not as important as in the ordinary family.

If this was an ordinary shu daughter, after Gao Xi's death, Wei shi's dowry would be inherited by the shu daughter, even if she had no relation with Wei shi and Grand Princess Shou Kang. But Gao Ran was the daughter of the Han shi, the culprit who killed Wei shi in the first place, how could Princess Shou Kang let this nest of sluts took such a big advantage? After receiving the letter, Grand Princess Shou Kang sneered, immediately ignored the faces of her in-laws, and ordered the mansion steward to go to Duke Yingguo Mansion. The Duke Mansion planned to give Gao Ran how much dowry she didn't care, but Wei shi's things and what she prepared for her granddaughter Gao Xi, even a small melon seed had to be return.