13- Katherine

The next day

Elena's POV

I woke up to a cold breeze uncomfortably hitting my face. Groaning, my eyes fluttered open and I noticed I was in a large, open field with no signs or nearby roads that I could use to work out where exactly I was. I immediately started to panic and struggle to break free from the rope that had tied me to a tree. I felt my breath get caught in my throat from fear as I remembered what had happened last night. I remembered Katherine. She came to the door, grabbed me and I blacked-out. I started to look around for a way out but my vision was blurry so I couldn't see very far, I'm assuming she hit me pretty hard to have knock me out clean.
"Oh you're awake," Katherine said as she emerged from behind the tree, which made me jump.
My voice trembled with both anger and fear. "What do you want with me, Katherine?"
"Well that's for me to know and you to find out," she said with a snarky laugh. I glared at her guilt-free face only to feel a warm liquid running from my neck. I slowly looked down to see streams of blood running down from my neck onto my chest. She bit me. Katherine had actually bit me. My heart pounded out of my chest at, what felt like, 200 beats a minute. What was going to happen? Was the baby going to survive? Where was Stefan? Why was she doing this? So many questions were running through my head until one thought broke through: I was going to die. I was going to die and I was never going to get to see Stefan, I would never feel him wrap his arms around me or kiss me with his soft lips. The shear thought of never seeing him again devastated me, making me feel like my insides were slowly ripping apart. I couldn't leave him. I was utterly helpless; I had failed my child already. My main job as their mother was to keep them safe, bring them comfort and pick them up when they fell, but I had already failed. I felt my eyes glaze over with tears at the disappointment I felt in myself.
"Aw... is my little doppelganger upset? Thinking of Stefan are we? No! let me guess, you're thinking of what a lousy mother you are. Can't even keep her baby safe before it's even been born." She pouted sarcastically, taunting me to react.
"Shut up Katherine!" I shouted, trying to force back my tears. It was at that moment when I realised I was useless. There was nothing I could do.

Caroline's POV

Bonnie and I were walking down the corridor towards the dorm, excited to see Elena and the baby bump. In my excitement, I unlocked and swung the door open.
"Hey!" I exclaimed to realise there was nobody there. Elena's bed looked like it had been slept in, so where was she?
"I'll check the bathroom," Bonnie said as I stood there in confusion. I waited about 5 seconds before she came out and shook her head signaling 'no sign of Elena'. I sighed and thought where she could be. I grabbed my phone and decided to call her, concern starting to fill my body.
"Hey this is Elena's phone, leave a message," the voice mail said. I took the phone away from my ear as I sighed once again.
"It's gone straight to voicemail," I told Bonnie. It wasn't like Elena to mysteriously disappear without telling anyone. We both just stood there in panic and worry until we decided to contact the person we knew could help: Stefan.

Stefan's POV

Sunday morning. Always a peaceful time, however I couldn't help but sigh as I looked over to Elena's side of the bed. It felt so lonely without her, we've both become so dependant on each other over the past two years. I was pulled out of my thoughts by the light of my phone. I unlocked my phone and read the message I had just received.

Caroline: Get over to the dorm now. It's Elena.

I panicked. I didn't even know what was wrong but it involved Elena so I immediately became worried. Was she in labour? Was she hurt? So many questions flooded through my mind, so I decided to get dressed and get to the dorm as fast as I could.

Caroline's POV

I was pacing around the room like a crazy person whilst Bonnie was quietly sat on the bed looking pensive. We both turned our heads at the sound of the door opening and closing. Stefan rushed in and studied our worried faces.
"Where's Elena? Is she okay?" He asked, concerned dripping from his voice. I turned to face him, bracing myself for his reaction.
"That's the problem Stefan, we can't find Elena. She isn't here. We have no idea where she is." I was trying to remain as calm as possible for him, for all of us, but most importantly for Elena. His head dropped as he looked like he was on the verge of crying.
"Have you called her? How long has she been missing?" I can tell he was also trying to hold himself together.
"She's not answering, we've been here for about half an hour and she said she would be here," I explained.
Bonnie suddenly leaped to her feet. "Wait guys! I can do a locator spell!" I felt hope rise in my chest, I would take every opportunity I could get. She grabbed a candle as I grabbed Elena's hair brush. We all sat on the floor as Bonnie started to chant in Latin.
"Okay, she's somewhere in the open," Bonnie started. In the open? Like in the outdoors? That could be anywhere!
"Okay, it's in a field near Miller's farm," she continued. Miller's farm was 30 miles from here, why would she be there? There was literally nothing there and it was at least a mile from a road. I was pulled out of my never-ending list of thoughts by Bonnie's eyes striking open, revealing her deep, green eyes.
"Katherine. She's with Katherine." My breath hitched in fear. Stefan stood up and looked at us both sternly.
"I'm going now. Katherine's ruthless and unpredictable, she could do anything. I need to get to her before it's too late," he said as he immediately started to pace out of the door.
"Wait! You're right." I called him back as I sighed. "But we can't do this alone. We need back up."