24- The Big Question: Part 2

A few days later

Elena's POV

I woke up a little earlier than usual this morning so, being the wonderful girlfriend that I am, I decided to get up and make us both pancakes. I gently released myself from Stefan's embrace, so I wouldn't wake him, and made my way downstairs.
As I was cooking pancakes a thought struck me: We've been dating for three years now. I couldn't believe it. Without a doubt, these have been the best three years of my life. I honestly didn't know what I would do if I didn't have Stefan in my life. He was my rock and I knew that both Isabella and I wouldn't be where we were now if it hadn't been for him. As I was serving up the pancakes I heard Stefan come down the stairs. I looked back at him to see he was carrying Isabella and placing her on her play mat. I smiled at my boyfriend and daughter and turned around to finish plating up the food. Once I had finished I felt that all-too-familiar warm presence behind me and strong arms wrap around my waist. I smiled to myself as he slowly kissed down my neck, leaving warm, sweet kisses on my skin.
He began to turn me around in his arms. "Happy anniversary baby." I smiled.
"Happy anniversary," he whispered before kissing me forcefully but sweetly.
"It very much is." I giggled as we pulled away and I placed our food on the table. Being the gentleman that he was, Stefan pulled out my chair for me, allowing me to sit down. I smiled in appreciation as he sat down too.
"So, what would you like to do today?" Stefan asked with a smile on his face.
"Okay, this is going to sound a little bit weird for an anniversary but, we could always go to the zoo? I haven't been in ages and it'll be Isabella's first time going. If you don't want-," I rambled on, only to be stopped by Stefan taking my hand. "Babe, that sounds like a great idea." I smiled whilst leaning towards him, minimising the space between us. I connected our lips together in a sweet kiss, which made me smile uncontrollably.
"I don't mind where we are, just as long as I'm with you," he whispered against my lips. I blushed like crazy before quickly kissing his lips and putting the dishes in the sink. As I was returning to the table we heard Isabella whimper and start to cry. I started to walk over to her, to go and calm her down, until I felt Stefan lightly grip my wrist.
"I'll get her, you go get ready. I'll be up in a minute," he said. I smiled before slightly nodding and walking up the stairs to get ready. I wore a pair of skinny, black jeans, a dark green, lacy top and a pair of black converse. I simply curled my hair and put some nude make-up on, nothing too fancy.
"Beautiful," Stefan said as I finally came out of the bathroom. I smirked and blushed a little before picking up Isabella, who was laid on our bed.
"Why thank you. You look pretty handsome yourself," I said as I approached him. He gave a slight laugh before he lightly stroked Isabella's cheek.
"And you, baby girl, you look beautiful too." He tickled her under her chin, which made her wriggle against my hip.
"I can't believe she's almost six months old. Time has flown by, why are you growing up so fast?" I asked her rhetorically and moved a small strand of hair away from her face.
"Yeah, it really has. She looks so much like you, Elena. She's got your little nose, your smile and your beautiful, brown hair," he said smiling down at Isabella.
"She looks so much like both of us, she has your amazingly green eyes and she definitely has your ears," I said as I heard him laugh a little.
He entwined our fingers together. "She's a perfect little girl," Stefan said as we began to make our way downstairs.
"Yes she is," I agreed with a smile.

Once we were ready to go, we strapped Isabella's car seat in, got in and started to drive. We flirted and talked during the drive, and I laughed more than I've ever laughed before. After about an hour we arrived and I couldn't wait to see everything and show Isabella everything so I wasted no time in getting out of the car. I carried Isabella out of the car and strapped her into the pram we had brought along with us. Stefan took her bag out of the car and placed it at the bottom of the pram. He pushed the pram with one hand and held my hand with the other, it was amazing how he could steer the pram with only one hand.
Once we were in the zoo, I thought it would be a nice idea to walk around for a while, plus Isabella was asleep and I wanted her to be awake to see the animals. Stefan and I talked the whole time, it was a great way to spend our anniversary and it definitely couldn't get any better than this. Although I had to admit, Stefan has been acting a little nervous today and I couldn't work out why; I asked him but he brushed it off, telling me that everything was fine. Since I didn't want to pry too much, I let it go and changed the conversation.
Once Isabella woke up, we took her to see the animals and she absolutely loved them. She was very fond of the monkeys, they made her giggle which, of course, made both Stefan and I laugh with her. However, she didn't like the lions very much, she was a little scared of them and cried whenever they roared. Although, as soon as she was able to bury her head on Stefan's shoulder she would calm down within minutes. When she was in Stefan's arms she immediately calmed down, the tension on her face released and she always cheered up. Although I was the exact same, whenever I was in Stefan's arms I always felt safe and secure and instantly felt a lot better. I didn't even know how I got so lucky to have someone like Stefan in my life.

Stefan's POV

Elena and I have had so much fun, her smile hasn't left since we arrived. Watching Isabella look at the animals was mesmerizing, she was growing up so fast which, on one hand, I absolutely loved the idea of and, on the other, scared me a little. Although, she would always be my baby girl no matter how old she was.
"Babe, you okay?" Elena asked, snapping me back into reality.
"Yeah, I'm just thinking," I said as I continued to push Isabella's pram.
"What were you thinking about?" she asked with a cute smile on her face.
"Just how quickly Isabella's growing up. It scares me a little." I said as we were walking back to the car. She suddenly stopped and looked at me with concern.
"What scares you?" She asked.
"It's nothing, don't worry about it." I gave her a reassuring smile.
"Stefan, you know you don't have to worry about Isabella growing up. She'll always be our baby girl, and we have ages until we need to think about anything like that. Enjoy the present moment," she consoled me. I smiled before giving her a kiss on her soft lips.
"I know, I will" I said against her lips. We drew back to continue walking to the car.
It took us about an hour to get home and surprisingly Isabella was wide awake, despite it being the late evening.
We walked through the threshold of the door. "Thank you," she said.
"For what?" I questioned whilst shutting the front door and and bringing my gaze back to Elena.
"For today, I've had so much fun and I know for a fact that Isabella has thoroughly enjoyed herself," she smiled. She took Isabella out of her car seat and placed her on her play mat
"You're welcome, but I have to thank both of you too. I'm glad I've been able to spend our anniversary with my family," I said as I saw her smile grow.
"I'm glad too," she whispered before she kissed my cheek lightly. Her touch sent me into overdrive and I knew the time was right. I gently took her hands in mine and started to speak.
"Elena, listen, the past three years have been the best years of my life for only one reason... you. You've literally brightened my world and have given me a gift which I never thought was possible. In my whole life I never thought I could be this lucky to fall in love with such an amazing, beautiful, sexy, humble, kind woman and to have her love me back. I can't explain to you how-." I said, my voice breaking and my eyes filling up with tears. I looked into Elena's gorgeous, hazel eyes, that were producing tears uncontrollably, and continued.
"How much you mean to me. But I promise that, if you let me, I will spend the rest of my life showing you how much you mean to me," I said, my voice breaking once again.
She gently squeezed my hands, encouraging me to continue.
"Elena Marie Gilbert, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?" I asked. Her face was unreadable.

AN: Hey guys! So...he popped the big question! How was it? I hope it was realistic and romantic, I've never been proposed to so I didn't know what to write. Although I'll admit, when I wrote it I was smiling uncontrollably! What do you think she'll say? Please comment and vote! It means so much to me.
P.S Sorry for any mistakes, I wanted to get it written for you all so I didn't have as much time. Enjoy!
-Chelsea x