20- Getting Answers: Part 2

The same day

Stefan's POV

We needed to talk. Katherine needed to know how much she hurt Elena, and how serious I was when I said that she wasn't going to get away with it.
I clenched my fists, anger overwhelming me. "So, do you just not have a heart?" I hissed at Katherine.
"No, I have a heart, even if it doesn't beat. Why Stefan, do you want me to share my heart with you?" She smirked.
"No. If anything I would like to drive a stake through your heart but unfortunately for me Klaus isn't quite finished with you." I returned the sarcastic smile. "The question was implied by the fact that you tried to kill someone who was pregnant. Doesn't that sound wrong to you?" I questioned, frustration oozing out of me.
"Not really, she doesn't know what pain feels like and, deep down, you know she deserves it," she explained.
Is she for real? If I was mad before, I was furious now. "You can't be serious Katherine. What the hell has Elena ever done to you? She's the most selfless person I know and yet you're always finding reasons to hate her!" I shouted, my blood boiling with anger.
"She's my doppelganger, Stefan! She's literally like my twin that gets a better life than me, don't you get that? She's gotten everything she has ever wanted, and what have I been left with? She has everything I want. Including you." Her voice had lowered to almost a whisper by the end of her speech. I couldn't deny that I did feel bad for her, but only for the fact that she's spent the last 500 years running from her enemies. However, with all that being said, hurting Elena was crossing the line.
"Well, Katherine maybe if you haven't of been such a heartless monster in the first place people may have treated you with more respect." I spat out before standing up and storming out of the room. I shut and locked the door behind me and leaned against the wall, trying to compose myself. I felt crippled with anger and knew I needed to be there for Elena within all of this. When I felt I had calmed down a little, I made my way up to Elena.
Fury must've been plastered all over my face, since Elena stood nervously at my entrance and her eyes were glazed with worry. Within a second Elena was making her way over to me and embracing me in a hug, one that we both clearly needed. I wrapped my arms around her gentle, shaking body as I rubbed her back soothingly. No matter how angry I felt, comforting and calming Elena was always going to be my top priority.
She pulled out of the hug slightly to look at me. "Stefan, do you think Katherine is the reason I got pregnant?" I felt as if a light bulb had gone off inside my brain. That was when it all fitted together. Katherine wanted to show Elena what it felt like to loose someone you love. She must have planned the whole thing: enabled us to have a child, waited until Elena was full-term, then kidnapped Elena to try and kill the baby. Elena was never the target. It was the baby.
My mind started racing with fears.
I kissed her forehead. "I'll be back in a minute," I simply replied. I released my grip and walked out of the door, no other words being said. I walked down the stairs and corridor until I approached the door. I unlocked and swung it open within seconds.
"So was this your big plan? Find a way to get Elena pregnant with my child and then what? Kill it to prove your point?" I shouted, anger rising in my body. Isabella would not spend the rest of her life in fear of being hunted down by Katherine. I will not let Katherine have that satisfaction. She will never hurt my child.
She claps her hands together. "Well done Stefan, you've figured it out." By this point I was furious. But I needed to calm myself down if I was to have a civil talk with Katherine. I took my seat and looked at Katherine. It took several minutes to compose myself but eventually I did.
I looked up from my hands. "Why?" One simple word. That was all I asked, all I could ask.
"Because Stefan, she needed to know what it felt like to loose someone you love," she said in an oblivious tone, clearly unable to comprehend how much this had affected both Elena and I. Her lack of empathy was saddening.
"But why? Katherine, why did you think to kill our child? Plus you knew we were together and you knew this would also affect me, so why?" I said, almost pleading for an answer.
"Stefan, the only way I could hurt Elena was to hurt you. I've known what you've wanted since 1864. You want a family. I knew it would hurt her, but it would also hurt you, making the pain ten times worse. Enough said, that's why I did that 'awful' thing." She rolled her eyes at the word 'awful'.
I simply couldn't comprehend her thought process. "Katherine if you knew I wanted this for over a hundred years, why did you try and take it away from me the first chance you got?" I put my head down slightly, hiding the tears that were glazing over my eyes. The thought of Isabella being hunted down was unbearable. Such a sweet, innocent, beautiful girl, why anyone would have anything against her was beyond me. Katherine could come after me all she likes, I could protect myself like I've been doing for over 145 years, but she will not hurt Isabella or Elena.
"Because I was prepared to hurt you if it meant I could hurt her," she whispered. Before I could reply I noticed Elena was around the corner and, by the look of her face, it was clear she'd been there the whole time and heard the whole thing. Once our gazes fell upon each other she slowly entered the room.
"Elena-," I started to speak before she interrupted me with an unexpected kiss. I kissed her back, comforted by her presence. Once we pulled away I attempted to speak."I-," I started. I stumbled against my own words, unable to comprehend what had happened, let alone try and explain it. But, by the tenseness of her body, I could tell she knew what had happened.
"Shh, I know," she said against my lips. We had forgotten about Katherine until she had decided to shuffle on the floor.
"Katherine, I'm not going to sit here and lecture you about what happened, because I know that it clearly doesn't have any effect on you. But neither Stefan nor I take what you did lightly and if I could just spark a little humanity in you I would-," she pleaded, her voice breaking. Tears started to cascade down her cheeks, to the point where she had to take deep breaths just to continue. I held her arm in support, giving her some comfort.
"I would ask you to please, leave Isabella alone because I can't imagine my life without her. I was worried about her being brought up in a world full of vampires in the first place but now her life is in danger. She's three months old, Katherine, please I want you to let out your revenge fantasy on me, not on her. Please just leave her alone," she said, weeping uncontrollably.

Elena's POV

I came back down here to get more answers, ones that I needed to know. What I found out was far beyond what I wanted to hear. I was now pleading for mercy from someone who I knew wouldn't give it to me. I had to step in and talk to Katherine, Stefan was clearly too distraught to talk. Although, I was no different. Tears were falling uncontrollably and my hatred for Katherine was growing by the second.
"Elena, word of advice, I don't let revenge fantasies go. I will carry out my revenge," she stated. I felt my heart sink into, what felt like, a bottomless pit. My heart started racing, fear taking over my body once again.
"No, Katherine, you won't," Stefan hissed and guided my still, uncooperative body upstairs. I couldn't control my emotions.
"Oh my god Stefan, she's going to kill her... no... she won't. But she will, it's Katherine, she's not safe-," I rambled on, pacing up and down the room. Stefan had interrupted me by placing his hands on my shoulders and kissing my forehead lightly, the light kiss grounding me.
"Elena, look at me, she's not. Katherine is not going to hurt Isabella nor you. I won't let her. I promised to always keep you both safe and I don't intend on breaking my promise, okay?" He spoke in a hushed, calming tone. I nodded my head gently in response.
"You guys better go, I'm going to deal with her from now on. I promise you with the state she'll be in, she won't be able to hurt Isabella," Klaus said. It comforted me to know that he was also there to protect Isabella. Klaus was on our side, I thought over and over again. I had calmed down a little and was finally able to process my thoughts. "Thank you," we both said as we left to meet Caroline. I started to text Caroline as we walked to the car.
Elena: Hey Care, where are you? We're coming to meet you x

We both sat in the car as we waited for Caroline to text back. She texted me back within a minute.

Caroline: Hey! Bonnie and I took Isabella to the park. It's Hill Park. See you then! x

I read the message and locked my phone. I turned to Stefan and smiled, he smiled back at me.
"They're at Hill Park," I spoke as he ignited the engine. He nodded his head and leaned in closer to me. I mirrored his action as he planted a small kiss on my lips, I felt safe once I was in his embrace. I was just so lucky to have him.

We sat in a comfortable silence for the duration of the drive to the park, both of us were too drained from the events of the day to commit to any prolonged conversations. As usual, Stefan got out and came to my side and opened the door for me. I got out and kissed his cheek gently in appreciation. I wasn't just thankful for his politeness, I was thankful for the security he gives me. I was thankful for his entire existence. We entwined our fingers together and walked to the bench where Bonnie and Caroline were sitting. Caroline had Isabella on her lap, shaking a toy rabbit in front of her. It was such a nice sight.

"Hiya," I said to the others as we approached the bench.
The two of them looked up at us. "Hi, how did everything go?" Bonnie asked as Caroline passed Isabella over to me. I held her against my chest with her head resting in the curve of my neck.
I kissed Isabella's head, content to know that she was safe and sound. "The usual, Katherine being her normal, difficult self." I sighed as I sat down next to Stefan. He traced his hand up and down my back as I leaned closer to him.
"What did she say?" Caroline asked.
"Well, she told us she was reason Elena got pregnant," Stefan said. By the simpleness of his reply, I could tell he was in no mood to talk about it. I wasn't even sure I wanted to talk about it.
Bonnie and Caroline's eyes widen in surprise. "Do you guys believe her?" Bonnie asked.
"I guess, what other choice do we have? I was so caught up with having Isabella that I forgot to even question how I got pregnant," I said looking down at Isabella. I couldn't believe that she was already in this vampire drama. It wasn't fair. Although, one thing I could say was that I was glad she had three vampires in her life who were all willing to risk their lives to protect her. It comforted me knowing that she had such a strong support system.
"Well... no matter what happens we're here for all three of you," Caroline smiled. I gave a weak smile at both of them, happy with what great friends we had.
"Thank you. Although I have to admit, it does make me feel a little at ease knowing that the original hybrid is keeping an eye on Katherine," I said looking over at Stefan. He gave me a weak smile as he nodded his head in agreement.
"Do you think there's a spell or something? I mean to help vampires procreate?" Bonnie asked, snapping me out of my gaze.
"We don't know, she didn't say how she did it." Stefan replied to Bonnie.
"I guess we'll just have to see," Bonnie replied whilst giving me a small grin. I knew exactly what she meant.

AN: Hey guys! Hope you like it, the next two chapters will be on Stefan's birthday. They're going to take me more time as I need to plan it but I'm excited to write it! Also a big plot is coming up soon! Thank you for 3K guys!
-Chelsea x