5- The Ultrasound

One week later

Elena's POV

Dear diary,
I'm so thankful that we finally have a break! It's been a week since I found out about my pregnancy and my smile still hasn't gone away. Today Stefan and I are going to the doctors to have my first ultrasound. To be honest, I'm nervous about the scan since I have no idea what to expect from it, but I know Stefan will be there every step of the way. This is all happening so quick, 3 months ago I started university, and now I'm expecting a baby. It's not the ideal situation, but I wouldn't change our situation, not in a million years.
Another thing I'm nervous about is telling my parents, I've known them for my entire life and yet I have no idea what their reactions will be. After the ultrasound Stefan is driving us back home to see my parents. I've missed them so much, and not seeing them for three months has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Caroline and Bonnie are already on their way home and we're going to meet up with them after we've told my parents. I have no idea how my dad will react, he's always had very fatherly instincts and been very over protective of me. I better go as Stefan will be here any minute. Wish me luck! I think I might need it. 
Love Elena x

I placed my diary inside my bag and went to grab my make-up and remaining toiletries that needed to be packed. Stefan and I were staying the night at my house, so I packed my slightly bigger bag. I quickly tied my hair in a high ponytail, attempting to keep it out of my face, and continued to finish packing. As I was putting my clothes into my bag, I heard the door open, revealing his perfect face.

"Ready to go baby?" He asked me whilst grabbing my bag, he's such a gentlemen, always helping me out with carrying my things. I smiled to myself at the thought.
"As ready as I'll ever be" I replied, trying to hide my nervousness. He simply smiled at me and placed a kiss on the top of my head, he always knew how to make me relax.
We entwined our fingers as we walked towards Stefan's car, he opened the car door for me and I hopped in. The whole drive was filled with our conversations about baby names and how excited we were to embark on this new and exciting journey.

Twenty minutes later

Hand in hand, we walked into the doctors to be greeted by the receptionist.
"Hi, my girlfriend, Elena Gilbert, has an appointment with the midwife Dr. Smith." Stefan spoke to the receptionist looking confident, the exact opposite of what I looked like.
The lady let us know that the midwife was running late and told us to take a seat in the waiting room. We sat in a comfortable silence, my hand interlocked with his the entire time. He lightly rubbed his thumb against my hand, making me smile like a little kid. I was pulled out of thoughts by the midwife calling my name, which resulted in us both standing up and following her into one of the consulting rooms.
As we walked in the midwife shook both mine and Stefan's hand and started to introduce herself.
"Hi I'm Dr. Smith, it's nice to meet you, I'll be your midwife for the next 9 months. So let's get started."
The midwife gestured us to take a seat whilst picking up leaflets and handing them to us.
"So here are some leaflets just to give you an insight on what your pregnancy may be like. All women are different so you may experience other symptoms, but don't worry this is completely normal. But if you ever have any questions about anything pregnancy related don't hesitate to contact me," Her eagerness to help was surprisingly comforting, so I just nodded and tried to take everything in. She quickly glanced over at her computer and started to type some information on to the screen. This gave Stefan enough time to lay a gentle kiss on my temple and whisper in my ear. "Everything is going to be okay." I smiled, knowing that both me and my child would be safe as long we have Stefan with us.
"Right, so you're 12 weeks pregnant, you're 18 years old, and this is your first baby," she said reading off the information on her computer screen. I nodded again, agreeing with the information. I didn't feel like talking much since I didn't know her and yet I'm putting the life of my baby in her hands. She was the one who was going to help me through child birth, and made sure the baby is healthy, but I barely knew her. I was sure I would get to know her as my pregnancy progressed, and I guess trust didn't just appear in a day.
"So, if you could lay down here for me please, and then we can start your ultrasound," she spoke, gesturing me to the table. Stefan helped me up on the table and held my hand letting me know he was there. The midwife rolled up my top slightly, revealing my stomach. She squeezed the gel onto my stomach and I wriggled slightly from the coldness. Then we heard the heartbeat. It was honestly just mesmerizing. It was a relief to hear my baby alive with a strong heartbeat. Stefan knelt down beside me, softly kissing my forehead.
"It's our baby," I smiled, I looked over to the small, fragile life on the screen. It was our baby. Our baby. The thought continuously ran through my head. I was going to be a mother, and Stefan was going to be a father. We were going to be a family.

Stefan's POV

I looked over at the screen to see the best thing that's ever happened to me. Our baby. The heartbeat was like music to my ears. In 6 months time Elena and I will have the family we've always wanted.
"Right, we have your ultrasound image for you, so if you hop off the table, I'll print the image for the two of you," the midwife said. I helped Elena down and waited for the midwife to print the image off. She gave Elena some advice, tips from what she and her patients had learnt over their pregnancies, and I listened intently, not wanting to miss anything for Elena's sake.
"I'll see you next time, remember to drink lots of fluids and don't carry too heavy weights. See you next time." She said, Elena simply smiled and we both said 'see you next time' back. As we walked out of the door, I snaked my hand around Elena's waist, pulling her in closer. She smiled and giggled to herself, which made me smile.
"We've got our perfect little family," she said to me whilst placing her hand on her stomach.
"Yes we have. I love you both so much," I whispered in her ear as we walked out of the doctor's surgery hand in hand.

AN: Hope you guys like it! It was a difficult chapter to write as I've never been in a situation like this. I apologise if my spelling is wrong, I wanted to update on time for you but I haven't had as much time due to revision. Next update will be telling the parents!
-Chelsea x