Time vs Character

Jazmine POV---

I made a hand gesture for August to get out of the water. He had been swimming in the sea all morning.

He didn't sleep with me either. I waited for him all night but he opted for the couch.

"What?" He stood up in the water walking toward me.

"I cooked you breakfast." I pecked his wet lips and tried to dry him off with a towel.

"I'm not hungry. I'm good." He took the towel.

"Baby at least talk to me. You didn't sleep with me last night. We have never slept separately since you've been staying with me."

"Ain't nothing to talk about." He went pass me in the villa.

I sighed and followed him in.

He had the fridge open, drinking from the orange juice carton with the towel on his shoulder.

"Baby I didn't say I didn't want to marry you, I said we should wait."

"Did I propose to you?" He looked at me.

"No but..."

"Okay then. How you gon say wait to something I didn't ask. Don't get your hopes up, I was talking about T. Not you." He closed the fridge and put the juice on the counter, then went to the bathroom and closed the door.

I decided to let him take his shower in peace.

I knew he was hurt so I was just going to let that one roll off my shoulders.
I walked back into the kitchen, put up the juice, made me a plate and put up the rest of the food I made.

I went out in front of the villa on the porch and sat in one of the chairs and just ate silently. Listening to the water and the birds.

I heard him scurrying around inside, so I knew his shower was done.

I was debating whether I should talk to him or wait. He has a tendency to be ruthless when he is deeply wounded. And I couldn't bear it, if he said something he didn't mean to wound me back.

But we had to talk through this. I took my plate inside and emptied it. My phone vibrated. I looked and it was a notification saying Aug tweeted.

Brauds come and go, my money stays. 💸. I'm loyal to two people...my nation and my money. #fbgp #focusedonmymoney
#loveisoverrated
#iLovethenationdoe

the fact that he referenced his song FBGP (fuck bitches get paid) to refer to me. The fact that he rather tweet his problems, instead of talking to the one person that believed he would live even when his family didn't, hurt. Like how dare he? He didn't even get my explanation.

I marched in the bedroom.

"So that's what it is? Fuck bitches, get paid?"

"It's been that." He said non-chalantly texting on his phone.

"Was it that when nobody but me believed you would live? Was it that when I put my entire career on hold to take care of you day and night?"

"I ain't ask you to do shit. You made that choice."

"Fuck you August. Just because I said wait? I didn't say I didn't want to marry you I said wait."

He ignored me, giving full attention to whatever was on his phone.

I went over and yanked his phone from him, he got up after me and pushed me against the wall.

"Don't touch me or my shit." He put his finger in my face. I slapped it away and he took his phone back, then went back on the bed giving it his full attention.

"I love you with all my heart and I have proved that above a beyond." The tears escaped from my eyes, hurt he was treating me like this. I was about to exit.

"When you love niggas you marry them." He said still typing at his phone.

"We need more time August."

"Time for what?" He sat up angry. "M

"No we may not know everything about each other but it takes a whole life time to know someone anyway. And here I am trying to do the best I possibly can to repay you. That's the only thing I can do to show you, that you mean as much to me as I mean to you. Jazmine..." He got up and came over to me in the doorway.

I looked in his eyes.

"Baby, you can meet somebody tomorrow who has better intentions for you than someone you've known forever. Time means nothing, character does. Everything I needed to know about your character, I found out in that hospital room. Ain't nothing else to know."

He went to his luggage and pulled out a ring box. My heart started jumping and my stomach turning. He got on one knee in front of me.

"Would you be my wife?"

I paused. What he said made a lot of sense. It was a little early, but then again, we had been through so much in our short time.

"Apologize first for your tweet and how you just treated me."

He chuckled and smiled. "Baby I'm sorry."

"And..." Yes I had more request.

"Give me my props."

He stood up and pulled me into his body. Putting his forehead against mine.

"You are an amazing cook. And you are progressing in the oral department." He chuckled and pecked my lips.

"Yes then." I smiled brightly.

He put the ring on my finger and kissed me.

"Get on the bed." He let me go.

"Why?"

"Your payment is about to start."

"Uh...no." I was about to walk out, but he picked me up and put me on the bed and pinned me down with his hands.

That night he made sure he got his payment in full. 😩