Chapter 48

Two days before the Queen's funeral ,Philip and Charles were doing better , they still missed Elizabeth dearly but the grief hurt less. Edmund had many late nights,  taking care of the necessary arrangements for the funeral , with the help and support of Kate.

That morning Edmund had made his way to his sister's room , he hadn't had a moment with her since the day their granny died and had been taken care of by her nanny.

"Amelia sweetheart , May I come in" Edmund gently knocked on the door of his youngest sibling.

"Not right now" she said from the other side of the door.Edmund could hear the sadness in her voice.

"What are you up too?" He asked her , desperately wanting her to allow him in. He knew he needed her.

"I'm uh drawing" Her voice broke as she spoke.

Edmund knew she was lying , "What are you drawing? , a picture for granny?" At the mention of the late Queen ,  Amelia completely broke down. She had opened the door so quickly and rushed into her brother's arms to hug him. Edmund bent down to her level and held her back , hearing her cry into his shoulder.

"It's going to be okay , I promise you" He assured her as he looked at her.

"I miss granny so much" She cried out to him.

"I know" he rubbed her hair , comforting her. "Why didn't you want me to know that you were upset , that you were crying" he asked her.

"I didnt want to worry you , you have so much on your plate already and I-" She began.

Edmund cut her off , "Nonsense Amelia , I am your brother. I will always worry about you , Just like I will always be there for you".

"But-"

"But nothing.I promised our mother that I would look after you , that I would look after our brothers. It is my job , my duty and even more than that it brings me no greater joy than seeing my family happy" he said as she smiled at the mention of her mother.

"You look after everyone , who is looking after you?" She asked him sadly.

"I have you don't I" he tickled her and she giggled , "and I have" he stopped for a moment and had a stupid smile on his face.

"Kate" she finished the sentence for him.

"Yes" he smiled at how wise his sister had become , "I have Kate".