Chapter 36

The next morning Edmund wakes up and joins his three siblings for breakfast before Amelia and Harry had to leave for school.

"I see you're in a better mood" Edmund looked up at his brother William.

"It's because William has got a bright idea" Harry rolled his eyes.

"Shut it" William told Harry.

"No come on , I want to hear what this bright idea is" Edmund put two grapes in his mouth.

"If you must know , I was thinking about trying again with Kate. I feel awful on how I left things"William admitted.It seemed like he did not want to share this information.

Edmund's heart sank , he tried not to look like he was in deep distress , "I do hope you're not getting back together for the wrong reasons".

"And that would be?" William asked.

"Because you were forbidden to see Rose" Harry interjected.

William stayed silent. He rolled his eyes at his brothers antics and left.

"So Jackson told me of the interview you were offered to take" Edmund asked Harry in order to lighten the mood.

"Yeah I'm kind of excited. It would be my first professional one" Harry continued eating.

"Just be careful alright , some of their questions are a bit hectic" Edmund warned him.

"I'll be alright , Jack's preparing me" Harry smiled.

"Alright I'll take you two to school today , I've got an errand to run" Edmund told Amelia and Harry.

Edmund had finished drop both his siblings off to their respective places and rushed to Kate's house.

Prince Edmund stood nervously in the middle of Kate's cozy living room, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. Kate, looked surprised and slightly uneasy she sat on the edge of the couch, trying to make sense of his unexpected visit.

" Edmund, what brings you here? Is everything alright?" Kate asked sincerely.

"Kate, I... I heard something, something that I think you should know" he knew their world was going to come crashing down.

Kate's eyes widen with curiosity, sensing the seriousness in Edmund's voice"What is it, Edmund? You're making me anxious. Just tell me".

Edmund took  a deep breath "William... William is going to ask you out again. He wants to give your relationship another chance".

Kate's expression shifts, a mix of surprise and confusion" William ask me out? But... why would he...?" She whispered.

Edmund interuppted her "Kate, I think... I think you should consider it. Maybe what we had... it was just a phase, you know? A passing fantasy" His words hurt her.

Kate struggled to find the words to respond "Edmund, what we had... it was more than just a phase. I fell in-".

"Stop please , you and William were happy before , I trust that you two will find a way to be happy again" he added.

"What about the letter?, what about what you said to me?" She screamed this time.

"The letter" he paused , the words almost not wanting to leave his lips , the letter was nothing but a mistake".

"Get out!" Kate unleashed her anger on him.

Edmund, torn between his love for Kate and his sense of duty, he reached out to touch her hand, but she flinched away, her heart shattered.

Silence hung heavily in the room, filled with unspoken words and shattered dreams as Edmund leaved  her place , hiding his teary eyes.