CHAPTER 1 - Debt-fuelled Content Creator

Tokyo, Japan, 2039

"Remember, arrive at Honmoku Pier at 11.00 p.m, so you'll have more than enough time to prepare those cameras."

"Got it. Hope we'll get a lot of views this time."

"Yeah."

Beep!

Sigh.

My phone homepage triggered a memory when I used to partner with a reasonable group of people. Partnering to craft high quality videos of Savannah Infinite 7 doing drift stunts no one had ever seen before. Defying trends fake car culture enthusiasts compose. Although, it came with a price I couldn't pay.

I checked my email. I wish I didn't do that. Email threatened me with college tuition and massive bills inherited by my parents' massive house, which I must pay by the end of the month. I could still smile after a slap from tuition, but from bills.

Oh, big brother, how cruel of you to hand me this big of a burden. It should've been you who acquired this property, but you chose to run away from responsibility by settling in the Philippines.

"FOR GOD'S SAKE! THESE BILLS ARE KILLING ME!"

My right hand was pushing keyboard numpads to sum the yens I must obtain, while my left hand was blindly rummaging through folders of receipts, hoping to find a slipped change or two. But, my sentient left hand proceeded to take the frontmost file and blocked the screen with it.

Parts repair and change from the last video. A million yen worth of fixing, partially unpaid. It was true, it was that much. My car was showing its age worse and worse, so I had to take care of it a lot. Parts for the Wankel engine were really hard to find, which explained the bloated price. They say, having cars as a hobby is really money consuming, they were right.

"I need to entertain myself for a bit," I sighed whilst my hand opened another cabinet. Fingertips hopped from file to file, until I whipped out newspaper clips I used to cut.

"The whole League thing was 22 years ago, huh? I wish I was around at that time, I could've gone famous."

While carrying the newspaper, I walked briskly to my garage to check the love of my life. My lifeline, my 1990 Mazda RX-7 GTX. A shining deep red color, white Enkei wheels and a spoiler. Despite your age, you really are beautiful.

I pondered about me and my car's plans for today, "Oh, right. Time to go to Honmoku Pier. I gotta re-check the place and all." I entered the Mazda, and as soon as my hand rotated the key, the front window felt some short knocks.

"GET OUT OF THERE!" A brash, manly voice penetrated through this nearly soundproof body. I jolted in rage and immediately headed out.

"What do you wa- oh.... hi...." My voice weakened as I looked up, realized that a man with a huge stature was standing in front of my face.

"Daikou, Daikou Hozzai. I believe you owe us something. The money you borrowed, give it back." The man told me. "O-oh, so this is what it's all about... give me some time man, I'm still collecting money here..." I begged for his mercy. "It's been 3 months, and your debt is overdue, the boss wants it back, NOW." The man pushed me back, causing me to trip and fall against the wall.

Seeing his subordinate's rude behavior, the boss grabbed that man's trained hand and warned, "Do not resort to violence first." After that, the boss came close to me and helped me stand up.

"I apologize for my negligence." he comforted. As he turned his head back he saw my RX7's side, with an alphanumeric vinyl layered on it. His eyes squinted and mumbled, "SI7... Savannah Infinite 7..." Suddenly, his eyes goggled and ensured enthusiastically, "Are you really... him?"

"Ah, you're the man who I borrowed money from, the loaning company..." I inspected his face. "Hey wait, you know who i am? People actually watch my videos?!" My previous fear was overcome with joy.

"Ahem." The loan boss regained his composure. "Yes, I do watch your videos. I find them quite entertaining if I do say so myself. And seeing your car in person, it really is a nice car, eh?" He patted my car's top a couple of times. "Anyway, back to the topic. Your debts are starting to stack up, and it's overdue by 3 months. If you don't find a way to repay soon, I'm afraid we're gonna have to resort to selling your house." The boss explained.

"Unless...." He abruptly continued.

"Unless what?" I asked.

"...you, are willing to work as a racer for my brother's racing crew, Shadow Hounds by Kocho Kojiran."

A racing crew? WOW! What a generous offer to a guy who is unable to pay back his loans plus the interests.

"If you can prove your exceptional skill worthy for actual battleground, I'll give you a remission to all of your debts, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!" His quick inflection startled me. "If you don't, then..." He pointed at my car and my house, huffed in disappointment, "...bye-bye."

A drop of sweat ran down from my forehead and I gulped. I think about all the chances, and can I actually pull it off? "And another thing, the races and competitions are gonna be streamed and uploaded to the Racer's Network, at least that's what my brother said. So I'm sure you'll gain fame in the process." He informed me.

Okay, now we're talking.

"There's money prize out there in the competition right?" I asked.

"Regarding your situation, I'm afraid your only shares are complete debt relief and free meals during training and such." Mr. Kocho shrugged.

"Fair enough. For my house, and for my Mazda, I'll join Shadow Hounds." I decided firmly.