29.

Alek
____________________________

"Are you sure you're ready to tell me about your scar? The other day, you didn't seem like you wanted to." Noah spoke hesitantly, laying his head on my chest.

"I'm sure, sweetheart. It's not easy to speak about, but you deserve to know." I sighed, holding him close.

"It was about a year and a half after I was kidnapped by Viktor. At this point, we've done a ridiculous amount of gun sales. A client of Viktor wanted to arrange a meeting with one of his friends, but nothing went right. The guy set us up and tried to steal the product without paying. Viktor of course wasn't going to let them steal from him, so he made us fight back. I think he knew I was going to try and escape, but he threatened that if I did, and he got out alive. . . He would and I quote, gut me and everyone I love. He said he would make me watch, and I couldn't imagine you or my family and friends getting hurt." I took a breath and closed my eyes.

"That day was the most people I've ever had to kill. There were seven of them. I can remember each of their faces and I don't think they're ever going to go away. I know they would have shot me without a hesitation, but I don't care. I would have rather died than hurt another person, but with everyone else in danger, I couldn't risk it."

"Oh, Alek. . . " Noah glanced at me with tears in his eyes. I forced a smile and planted a kiss to his forehead.

"I know, baby. It hasn't been easy, but I'm trying to deal with it. Anyways, that night, I had just killed the sixth man, but I missed one. A guy came up behind me and he stabbed me in the back. One of Viktor's men pushed the guy off, but that only made the knife drag across my skin. I thought I've felt pain before, but that. . . I've never experienced anything so excruciating. I dropped to my side and the guy tried attacking me again, but I was lucky enough that my gun was beside me. I only wanted to shoot him in the stomach so he could get off of me, but he bumped my arm and I shot him in the throat. There was so much blood. . . It— it was everywhere. I still feel like I can taste it."

"Oh my god. That's horrible. I— I couldn't even imagine how you must have been feeling. I'm so sorry you had to go through that alone." He cried.

"I wasn't alone. You are what got me through those two years. All I focused on was making it back to you. If I didn't have you, I'd have let myself go a long time ago, but I did. I had you, Noah. Even though you weren't actually there with me, the thought of your smile alone helped me through the hardest times in my life. You're always going to be everything to me. You saved me."

"Don't cry, Daddy. You're going to make me cry." Noah sniffled, but too late, he was already crying.

"Y—You didn't deserve to go through any of that. I'm so sorry you were put through so much pain. I wish I could take it all away from you." His cheeks flushed pink, then he swiped his thumbs across my own cheeks, wiping my tears away.

"Being with you now, it's taking all of my pain away. Every day I'm with you, it feels like I find another piece of myself. I know I may never fully be okay, but having you here with me, it's everything."

"I will never leave you, Daddy. You're everything to me too. I'm always here if you need to talk about things. I don't want to ever lose you, so please don't hold anything in. Okay?"

"I know you are, baby boy. You will never lose me again, I swear."

"You're the strongest person I've ever met. I'm sorry for ever doubting you. I never thought your disappearing would have been something so serious. I just wish I knew you longer before you were taken. That way, maybe I could have done more to help you. Maybe we could have found you."