44

Alyssa

"Are you coming?"

"What?"

"To school?"

"I don't know. No,"

"Please,"

"No," I whined, "My shoulder hurts,"

"Come on, please?"

"Dad! Axel woke me up!"

"Please come,"

"Buddy, let her sleep,"

I heard him start to hyperventilate, but dad must've taken him out my room because the door shut and it was quiet again, so I shut my eyes and went back to sleep.

My body was so tired, and even though I had gone to sleep happy, I didn't wake up happy.

Dad let me sleep for a while, I assumed he had got Axel ready for school and maybe even taken him. He woke me up with breakfast in bed again, and sat with me while I ate, his company something I had learnt to appreciate. Knowing someone chose to come and sit with you, even if you weren't talking, felt special to me. They merely wanted to exist with you, and didn't expect anything other than you.

After breakfast, I cuddled up to him and he gave me some painkillers, then I accidentally fell back to sleep next to him, but it was pretty easy since I was full of food and he was warm (and comfy).

Unfortunately, his phone rang which woke me up again, but he left to make the call. I watched tv while I waited, and ran my fingers through my new short-ish hair. I wondered if Ashton would let me dye it, and do something drastic like black, but I probably wouldn't like it and that was just more things to maintain when I couldn't even handle things right now.

"How are you feeling?"

"Okay,"

"That was the doctors calling about your shoulder, they've realised you hurt your shoulder a bit more than they thought,"

"Oh,"

Immediately, I felt my throat close up as he sat at the end of my bed, putting his hand on my leg.

"You have broken it again, and they're not sure it was healing as fast as it should have which is probably why you haven't been too fond of the idea of physical therapy,"

"What do we do?"

"We're gonna go back in today and they're gonna do a blood test, and take some more scans to see what the plan is. They're not sure it's quite in the right position, and that's no good!"

"No,"

"It'll be okay. I promise, I will be there the whole time,"

"I can't do it. I can't. No,"

"I am going to be there the whole time," he said, grabbing my hand, "You are going to be okay, and I will treat you after. I will see if someone we know can come and draw your blood,"

"Why can't it just be fixed?"

"I know it's frustrating pumpkin,"

"No you don't. You weren't in the explosion. It's so stupid. Why did we have to live in that house and then have an explosion? Everything hurts all the time,"

"I am not going to rest until you are recovered, okay? I am really sorry you went through that, and I am going to make sure you can heal from it properly,"

"I don't want another needle,"

"I know, but we will put your headphones in and get some tv on for you, and I will see if anyone is free. Luke is good at them,"