4

Ashton

"Good morning!"

"Woah,"

"I didn't know what you'd want so I made,"-

"Everything,"

"Precisely, and guess what?"

"What?"

"I have already started the hunt for your brother,"

"There can't be that many kids called Axel, right?"

"Let's hope not," I smiled, "Eat whatever you want,"

I watched as she loaded her plate with fruit and pastries and eggs, like she hadn't seen it all before. Maybe she hadn't, or at least not all on display like this, but it made her happy so it didn't matter.

She seemed like a sweet kid, and I had a strong feeling that I needed to protect her. I'd had a couple of different trials before and it didn't work out- sometimes you were just very different people- but Alyssa seemed to slot into the home with ease. It wasn't a perfect slot, but it felt different to the other couple of times. I had a feeling that if we could find her brother that she'd shine even more.

"Do I have to go back today?"

"You'll definitely need to go and speak to your social worker,"

"I don't wanna go back,"

"It won't be for too long!"

"Fine,"

"I do just wanna say that I can't make any promises about your brother, it's really not up to me. I will happily have him here, but that's all that I can decide,"

"I know. Thank you for helping me,"

"You're welcome,"

"Sorry we are old if you wanted little kids,"

"Stop apologising for being you,"

"I don't know what injuries he has," she said, ignoring me, "What if they're bad?"

"I'm sure he is okay, but I can look after him. What's the deal with your shoulder?"

"I had surgery, they said I need physio therapy but I don't wanna. I didn't have a good experience in the hospital, this student kept hurting me,"

"Ah right, well you probably should have physio therapy but we will find a good doctor, yeah?"

"Okay,"

"Students get a bit nervous, if that happened about a month ago then whoever it was, was probably very new. I promise it doesn't reflect all doctors,"

"As long as she isn't there. She hurt me,"

"It will be a fully qualified doctor, I promise,"

"Okay. She really hurt me,"

I could tell it made her really anxious, so I left the topic, and we spoke about what she watched on the tv last night. It was obvious that for a while, I would probably accidentally push some buttons and cross the line, but she seemed to be able to move past it fairly well.

After breakfast, she helped me clear up, then went and got ready. It didn't take her long, and she just put the same clothes on as yesterday, but it looked like a cosy outfit so I couldn't blame her.

We were thinking of baking, but the social worker came a bit earlier than we expected, so I put the tv on for her so we could speak in the kitchen.

"How has she got on?"

"She's been a pleasure,"

"Has she spoken to you much?"

"Oh yeah, we've spoken loads. I would really like to have her here longer,"