16

Ashton

The pair of them were asleep in the same bed again, so it was easy to wake them up. I just opened the curtains and they both grumbled, covering their eyes.

"Good morning!"

"It's too early,"

"Actually, I let you guys have a lie in. We need to get going with our day, what would you like for breakfast?"

"Anything,"

"I'm not hungry,"

"You need breakfast!" I said, gently ruffling Alyssa's hair, "Toast?"

"I'm not eating,"

"Okay, get ready then, I will make you some toast, Axel,"

I went downstairs to the kitchen, which I had cleaned while they were still asleep, and made him some toast to eat upstairs. On my way up, I heard Alyssa in the bathroom throwing up, so left it on Axel's desk and went in, watching her wipe her mouth.

"You don't feel well?"

"I'm a bit nervous,"

"A bit huh?" I asked, flushing the toilet, "You're gonna be okay, you can take your blanket to lay under if you'd like,"

"Okay,"

"If anything is up then they'll know exactly how to fix it, and we will book you in and get it all sorted,"

"Axel can hold my hand?"

"Yeah, he can,"

"And there's no needles,"

"Sometimes to fix your teeth they numb it, but there won't be any needles today and if you need numbing then we will talk about that together, okay?"

"Okay,"

"I've got you sweetheart, I'm here to support you, with anything,"

She rested her head on my chest and I cuddled her, then left her to brush her teeth while I got her some clothes out. Admittedly I was a little worried, she definitely had trauma from her time in hospital and I feared anyone in a pair of scrubs might send her into panic mode.

"Ash, does it smell weird at the dentist like at the hospital?"

"A bit, bud,"

"Gross,"

"I know. You don't mind going first, do you? Alyssa is so nervous,"

"Yeah, that's fine. I'm chill,"

"Awesome. She might get a bit upset in there but she will be okay,"

"I know. Thanks for looking after us. As much as I hate it I am grateful you care,"

"Of course I care! What do you think we could do to cheer her up later?"

"Paint,"

"That, we can do,"

I waited downstairs until they were both ready, then we got in the car and I plugged the directions in. It was a little far away, but I had done my research so I didn't mind the travel.

When we got there I could see Axel grimacing at the smell, then got them both signed in and filled out the health sheets with their help. Thankfully I knew the medication Alyssa had taken, and Axel seemed to know his which didn't surprise me.

Honestly, I was nervous because the energy radiating off Alyssa was not good, and I hated it when she was sad. It hadn't been long but they were my kids, so when I saw them hurting it really hurt me too. She sat with her blanket round her, catching her tears with it as we waited. Luckily, they weren't too behind.