Chapter 2

I sit down at the back of the bus and stare out the window. Who was that boy? And why did he just disappear?

The bus pulled up to my stop, and I stepped out, opening the umbrella. I walk down SpruceView Drive for a while until I get to a brick house with a white roof.
I pull out my key and unlock the door of my foster home, being greeted by my "sister".

"Hey Brice! How'd it go today?" my sister, Natalie, asked.
Natalie had long, hazel hair and bright green eyes. Today she had on her faded grey jeans and a blue long sleeved.
"Fine," I responded simply. She nodded. It was weird that she was only 14, she acted so mature for her age.
I walk upstairs and open my bedroom door, tossing my black and gold backpack onto my bed.

A knock came from the other side of my door, and Mouse walked in. Mouse is the foster mother's 9 year old son. He was short for his age and had light brown hair, so Nat and I call him Mouse. His name is actually Samuel, but Mouse sounds cooler.

"Hey Brice? I've got math homework again. Can you help me out?" Mouse asked with his young, squeaky voice.
"Aw.. You've got homework from mean Mr. Gean?" I laughed. He nods.

I follow Mouse down the stairs to the living room and I see our foster mother sitting on one of the couches, reading.

"Hi mom!" Mouse said.
"Hi Mrs. Baxters," I say to her.
She looks up and smiles. "Hi boys."
Mouse grabs a pencil and opens his notebook to start.

"Oh, Brice, something came in the mail for you. It's a recomindation letter," Mrs. Baxters says, handing me an envelope.
I open the red envelope and read it's from MAU.

"Dear Brice Solace,
You have been noticed by your community for your outstanding visual art pieces. Mineson Academics University is offering you the chance to participate in a scholarship for the visual art programs provided at the school. If interested, please appear at the open house on June 30th. Contact us at 437-842-8204 for further information."

My eyes widen wider and wider as I read, so much that I didn't realise Mouse reading over my shoulder.
"Brice! You can't go!" he shouted.
I look over to my half brother. I don't know what to say...