One More

Thanatos-
-8 Years Ago-

I clapped alongside all the mortals as she graduated highschool, turning 18 tomorrow.

She grabbed her diploma, shaking her principles hand as she walked off stage.

I cared nothing of the rest of it.

I sat in the empty chair beside her of the child who was absent.

I placed my hand over her thigh, she looked down at her lap, but she smiled.

When she was 10, I could only touch her hair or face in her sleep otherwise she'd panic slightly and shiver, but as she got older she had good instinct.

She let me bring her comfort since I had recently learned she can feel me, always had been able to but less of a harsh human-like touch, more of a graze of softness. She could sense me.

She placed her hands on her lap, one of them falling over mine.

A touch only I could feel but she looked at my hand oddly, granted she couldn't see it.

But she looked up as they began speaking, all the names called, all the diplomas given out.

She graduated.

I was a bit scared for what came next.

-5 Years Ago-

She was 21 today. Sitting on a park bench, reading.

She wore a light blue sundress, her brown curls pushed back with a small blue headband, her lips coated in Vaseline.

I sat on the grass in front of her.

She was pale, not as bad as me but for a mortal, she was pale.

She was maybe 5'8? On the taller side for a mortal girl as well.

She had small freckles along her arms and face, her cheeks a light rosy shade they'd always get during the warm weather.

Her blue eyes were glued to the pages, her long eyelashes accenting them.

One thing I was grateful for was Aphrodite working with Clotho, Lachesis, and Ateopos to make her avoid any romantic relationships.

Aphrodite controls love and desire as well as beauty.
Clotho- the spinner of fate
Lachesis- the allotter of fate
Atropos- the inflexibility of fate

She was occasionally sad and in desire of a relationship but she was rational. The "perfect" man will come and sweep her off her feet. But she also knew men didn't come how they did in books.

So she was alright being single, of course she had crushes and it was the golden retriever boys, many many boys always had a crush on her, many men came up to her.

Speaking of.

"Hey, uhm, I was walking by with a friend and noticed how beautiful you were, I was wondering if I could have your name and possibly number?" He asked.

I grabbed my pearl from the pocket of my tunic, holding it.

"Oh, thank you." She spoke, lifting her gaze from her book, studying the man before her.

Her voice was so soft, so kind, like the best silk.

"I'm not interested in a relationship right now, however we could be friends?" She tried.

He blinked, almost taken aback.

"Look I said you were beautiful, don't let that go to your head." He said and I stood.

I know he couldn't see me.

I clutched the little soul within him.

"Listen, boy, back the fuck off. A car accident is only 30 minutes away before I see you again." I threatened.

"Who?" His soul echoed.

"Death." I shoved his pathetic soul into his body and he collapsed.

"Crap." She murmured, the closest she's been to cursing.

Don't help him, little one.

I had to stand and watch as she called an ambulance.

He was fine, my darling.

She walked home, deciding this was enough for today.

She had to eat.

-1 Year ago-

"You're 25!" Her parents said as she met them inside this nice restaurant.

I was beside her the entire day, not leaving, grateful there were no calls.

"Todays the day." Aphrodite said.

"No."

"Why? She needs to be here, the underworld needs her. You're too much of an ass." She sighed.

"They don't need her. She doesn't need them." I was completely fine watching over her.

She didn't have to be taken.

"One more year. Give me one more." I said.

"For what? What's the difference between now and a year?" Hera came along.

"She won't suffer with you like you think she will." Hades looked at me, the silver in his beard shining.

"How do you know that?" I growled.

They all took a seat beside her, Heras arm around her shoulders.

"Look at her, she's stunning, with so much life. You rule death, but you've experienced life. You're not Hades. I mean more of an asshole, yes, but you're not dealing with the sad souls." She spoke.

"I'm too old and Persephone is more than enough thank you." He scowled.

"One thing we can all do is sense souls, we create them, my dear." Demeter came out, touching my shoulders.

Hades- God of Underworld (Deals with souls post-death)
Demeter- Goddess of Motherhood (Nurturer)

"Mother." Hades greeted.

She didn't respond.

"She is pure, she is happy, since she was a newborn till this moment your touch comforts her. I know you may refuse to believe that but we aren't oblivious." She sighed.

I was blank.

"But we're all here to celebrate her birthday." Aphrodite smiled.

"She's 25 and-"

"Wait. Let me have one more year. Just one is all I'm asking." I observed Amara, her smile, her joy.

But it was shaded.

"She feels your baggage, she may not know but she feels heavy, Thanatos." Hades said.

I sighed.

"One more year. 26. A year from today, she is to be brought down." Hera said.

"Fine." I nodded.

"Good." They all left.

Immediately I went and sat beside her, rubbing her back, apologizing for my weight mentally as she gradually grew happier, laughing rather than a picture perfect smile.

She was light once more.