Grain

Thanatos-

I walked into her bedroom, her face paler than usual, her cheeks flushed of the rosy color.

Persephone and Soteria sat beside her on her bed, a cold rag on her forehead and throat.

"Fist fight?" Persephone smiled at me.

I touched my forehead, bloody residue on my fingers.

I shrugged.

"Do you want us to leave?" Soteria asked.

"Please." I nodded.

They left within an instant.

I had Ingrid bring in a bottle of water.

"Thank you." I told her and she stared at Amara, concern laced in her eyes.

"She got overheated. She'll be okay." I let her know.

She gave me a sad smile before leaving.

I sat beside her, grabbing her hand, looking at her ring.

The fact that in some parts of her life she suffered negative emotions because Zeus had been there made me feel guilty.

I hadn't done my job.

I hadn't protected her how I should've.

She moved her head, her hand moving in mine.

I let her hand go back to her side.

"Hey." I said, moving some of her hair from her face.

I adjusted the cold rags.

I tried letting my guard down but I was still boiling my own aura of warmth.

She began shivering and I removed the rags.

"Cold." She barely murmured.

I grabbed her hand, pulling her to gently sit up, lifting and pulling her onto my lap.

Immediately she curled into me, her knees to her chest, her head lying on my shoulder, the tip of her cold nose on my throat.

One of my arms was around her waist, keeping her up, my other on her calves, adding friction between my skin and hers.

I just held her, her weight gradually increased as she fell asleep.

She wasn't heavy, she could never be, a tall, multi-century old god holding a small mortal woman.

She was petite to me. Tall in the mortal world. Women here stood at minimum 5'10. Gods at minimum 6'2.

I was 6'6, she was 5'8. I was a decent 300 lbs, she was about 165.

I debated putting her down, letting her sleep peacefully.

But I think I convinced myself she couldn't be comfortable anywhere else. Just to make myself feel better.

So I just held her.

-

I had to set her down, I had to collect a soul from a foul, premeditated car accident preformed murder.

I collected the victim, with acceptance and comfort, Hades came to take the soul of the killer who also died, from me.

"Go back to her, she's waking up." He told me.

"How do you know?" I scowled.

"I wanted Persephone to check on her and she was turning and becoming cognizant." He said.

I chewed my lip, trying not to bitch about it but I just left.

I came back, grabbing pajamas from her closet, a sweatshirt/crew neck I learned humans now called it, and sweatpants.

I began drawing a bath for her, but in my room since my bathtub was the size of a human hot tub, putting in a strawberry scented soap to bubble the water, adding a few drops of tea tree oil until it smelt like her.

Another perk of having it in my room.

I walked away, letting the tub fill as she stretched.

"Hello darling." I stood by the bathroom door and she turned to look at me.

She didn't say anything, just rubbed her eyes for a while, smudging the mascara Aphrodite had her wear.

I walked to the bed, helping her to sit up, bringing her feet off the mattress.

I bent down, undoing the clasps to her heels, removing them from her feet.

She was very out of it I could tell, she had slept really hard and she was bad at waking up after a long period of rest.

"What happened?" She barely murmured, her voice hoarse till she cleared her throat.

She touched my forehead.

"It's nothing, I'm alright." I told her in confidence, hoping she believed me.

"Does it hurt?" She asked.

"No."

"You have to clean the blood."

"I'm not human, it's already healed sweetheart." I whispered, helping her onto her feet.

She frowned, unhappy with my refusal.

"I'll clean the blood." I reassured.

She was groggy, rubbing her eyes.

"I have a bath running for you, it's in my room but you'll see why." I offered her my hand.

She stood, tumbling to find her balance but she got it.

I led her into my room, my bathroom and she gasped.

"Wow." She whispered.

"I'll leave you be, if you need anything let me know." I told her.

She smiled up at me, not releasing my hand.

"Thank you. I know today was just rough but I'm grateful for your kindness regardless." She tilted her head.

Kindness. I took that word with a grain of salt, but the grain I took was the fact that I was making her happy.

That's all that matters to me.