Her Will

Cassandra pov:

I learned after the party that the boy was called Callan. Kai said it would be too much between our arrangement and an under the table adoption. However, she said it was a conversation she would revisit.

Today, my day will be spent at the hospital to talk about my future pregnancies. Deep down I have always wanted a kid, but the concept of parenting scares me. I never cared for my parents and would hate to make my child feel the way I felt. I doubt I'd ever be that conceded.

Recently, I enjoyed Kai's warmth compared to her wrath I've heard about from news outlets. It is is to pretend to blissful when there is no outside sources trying to obtain their next big story. However, there has been times when I've seen her with her staff where she is cold and empty.

Three light knocks on the door pulled me out of my thoughts, "hello? How are y'all doing today?" She smiled warmly at us and sat down.

   "We are good. Thank you Doctor..." Kai trailed off.

   "Johnson. It is my pleasure, so where are we in the IVF journey? Are we familiar or just inquiring?"

   "I am new, but my partner Kai is not. Excuse me, are you not Kai's normal Doctor?"

    "No, I was newly assigned to you guys for confidentiality."

   Kai then grabbed my hand, "I have heard good things about her and figured we could both start fresh with someone who doesn't know either of us."

   I squeezed her hand as a quick thank you and then pulled away. "Well, does it hurt?"

   "Not typically. It can bring discomfort, but usually not much." The doctor smiled warmly and went over to the computer.

   "Well good news is the blood work turned out well. You are very fertile but then again you are both so young."

  Kai kept bouncing her feet up and down off the floor, "when would you recommend starting?"

   "Well whenever you guys are ready, but if you wanted to I could get you in later this week. That would be the soonest form of action as she has a higher chance of pregnancy given her vitals."

   "Ok." Kai said which nearly gave me a heart attack, "we will discuss it and get back to you later. No need to rush."

   We both thanked the doctor and left the facility. The ride home was quiet. I almost thought she wanted me to go through with a pregnancy right now. I haven't even lived my life or started a career. Does a person like me even get a career? My thoughts raced and my stomach tightened.

   Eventually, I pulled myself out of my thoughts and gauged my surroundings. We have been driving for far too long to not be home by now. However, when I looked outside the widow we were in the middle of nowhere. Kai was extremely focused as she gripped the steering wheel tightly.

   "Hey Kai? Are you okay?" I asked and put my hand on her neck.

   She didn't move or speak in my direction. I don't think I did anything to upset her. I mean, she has never acted like this with me. All of a sudden, she slammed on her breaks and threw the car in park. Well great. Now I'm alone in the middle of no where.

I took out my phone to call Dax but there was no reception. Three loud bangs came from outside the car and I watch as all the birds flew out of the trees. Was that a gunshot? No, there's no one out here. My body started to freeze.

My heart raced as I watched Kai walk toward the car with two other men. She got in the driver side and looked me in the eyes.

"The less you know the better." She said as the two men opened my door and held a cloth against my face.

After fighting them for what seemed like forever, I let the darkness consumed me.