The Intruder

Kai POV.

Cassandra should have took my side. I know what I saw. Hell I know what I experienced. As the girl 'graciously' left the room she smiled intensely at me. I took out my phone and texted Dax to keep an eye on her. Knowing she was in close proximity to Cas irked my soul, if she ends up dead in the bathroom I will kill every person in the estate after I bring CAs back from the dead and kill her myself.

She still has six days to sign her acknowledgment, but still she should know the power my name has outweighs hers therefore I am the hierarchy here. She was given to me, not the other way around. Ughhh, I turned around to check on the outside events and then instead of a cohesive line of workers, there was Alexander Rumad who stood in my foyer with scuff marks all over the floor behind him.

   "Cousin! I assume my invite must have got lost in the mail. Good thing I decided to pay you a visit today." He smirked and held open his arms.

   "You are not welcome in the Braxton home Mr. Rumad." I spoke dryly and then walked right past him to show him the door.

   "Oh cousin, that was for petty parent stuff. Now, they're dead, so why can't the new generation create new traditions and new values." He followed me outside and took a big wife of air.

   He looked up into the sky where doves flew in circles, "we used to have a lot of fun playing on these grounds as kids. I should've been a better example during my teen years for you, but money blinds the wicked."

    Something he said and the way he said it healed the little girl in me, "you're right, but I don't believe in second chances. However, I may consider meeting you again as a new person and not a mentor, a sibling, or as a family member."

  "Only if you may consider it, cousin. Well, I'll let you prepare for the schemers. They've never been my cup of tea anyways. Oh, and congrats on your marriage better keep her closer than you keep your enemies because she's beautiful."

   "Goodbye, Xander."

After a long day of unneeded stress all I wanted to do was sleep, but sleep does not come to event hosts. Cassandra has been short with me ever since the incident with the maid, but come on can she really hold a grudge for long. Tonight, I would be wearing a a neutral suit with a black lace mask and Cassandra would wear a black dress with a neutral gold shimmers and a white mask.

The purpose of tonight, is everyone will know who we are, but no one else will know who the other guests are. At least, for certain. In our elite families this has always been the way of celebrating, because it gives crooked partners or opposing partners the chance to celebrate without needing a lot of weapons or worrying about their backs the whole night. Some people even go as far as wearing voice changers.

These events are also most discrete. The only way to know about one is to receive an invitation six months to a year in advance and no other talk will happen until that date. Even the invites are short and to the point, the sender, a time, a date, and event type. However, the masquerade theme will always happen, but the place is always someplace different and guest are notified in weird mysterious ways 48 hours before they need to arrive.

For my sake, I never send the location. I send personal cars and a pick-up time for each individual guest. There my security is able to make sure no one gets in who shouldn't be.

I walked outside my room to see Cassandra standing at the top of the left wing. I made my way to the right wing and we descended the stairs gracefully. All eyes were on her. The jewel of the night yet her eyes were on me. We met in the middle of the foyer and then she looped her arm through mine as we made our way to the ball room and the rest of the guest followed behind us.