The Waiting Game

Kai POV.

   "She hasn't talked to me all day." I groaned to Dax.

"Well this party is a lot of responsibility. It is also a different type of party. There are restraints, cautions, and plenty of sex." He stated.

"It's not sex. It's respect, obedience, and discipline. It's tradition. It's sacred-"

"It's intimidating and scary. Besides Miss Dawson will help her and ease her into it. Mrs. Braxton should just be glad you aren't expecting of her to be in a vulnerable position."

"She would never be a submissive color to any of those people."

"And that stance you have made clear, but normally when someone of your stature decides to get married there are certain ceremonial elements. You decided against these expectations for her because whether you admit it or not these people are not all like you. They do not care about a person color or status, they all want what they want. There are plenty of people in that room who will only see her as inferior and attainable since she will remain unclaimed; whether, she is your bride or not."

"Then someone will have a death wish."

"And I will see to it that wish is fulfilled" he gently smiled and turned around, "before leaving I just want to point out. That the auction is in three months. You can't keep her in the dark when there are secrets too risky to keep."

I pondered what he said. There were many secrets too risky to keep, but where would I start. I couldn't overwhelm her fragile mind. She has yet to be tainted by the crimes of her family or mine. For that, I envy her and love her all at once.