The Braxton Estate

Cassandra POV.

If looks could kill, Kai Braxton would be dead right now. I cannot believe the audacity of this woman. She just left me with Dax after scolding me like I was a child.

  At least I was here trying to fulfill our parent's agreement. What is she doing? Not even showing up to the altar. It's not like I wanted her there anyways. I rolled my eyes, and Dax chuckled.

   "What are you laughing at, Mr. Babysitter??" I squinted my eyes at him as I got out of the car.

   "Well, you both are stubborn, and it's entertaining. I wouldn't get on her bad side, though. Please follow me."

   I rolled my eyes again at his comment. Her house was extravagant. There was a fountain that went into a long pond. There was enough green grass and trees to provide top-tier security. As I looked around, her landscape seemed endless. I could not even find a privacy gate to keep strangers out.

   The house itself was castle-like with touches of Mediterranean architecture. It was beautiful. However, like most castles and old money brats, the inside is sure to be outdated and smells heavily of cigars. As Dax and I headed toward the enormous double doors, they opened slowly. My jaw dropped once I saw the large foyer with two modern staircases on each side of the room. They met in the middle leading into the other corridors of the house.

  A woman thanked the men who pulled the door open and smiled in my direction. "Welcome home, Mrs. Braxton," she greeted me with a smile.

  I let out a nervous smile as I pulled my hair into a messy bun to comfort my anxiety. I had never seen an estate so pristine in my life, well, not as much as this house.

  "Greetings Miss Dawson. Please escort Cassandra Braxton to her room and be sure to help her unpack. Dinner will be in a few hours," Dax spoke as he turned around and headed back out the front door with the doors closing behind him.

  "Greattttt, another prison I am trapped in," I sighed, and Miss Dawson let out a half smile.

  She looped her arm through mine and began, "You know this place isn't so bad once you get accommodated to it. There is always fresh fruit, horses, helicopters, private plans, a game room, a library, and much more to entertain yourself or friends."

   "I don't have any friends."

   "Well, shush. I will be your first friend. Don't worry about Dax, either. He is harmless. He is just a bit to the point sometimes."

   "Well, he seems more friendly than Kai." I snarked.

  My comment made her uncomfortable, "Kai is a tricky soul. She didn't grow up like most kids, but I am sure love will show her a new way of life." She nudged me and smiled as I followed her up the stairs.

   "I hope she finds this love you speak about, so I can quickly be out of her hair."

   "Or maybe, she already has found it, and you both need to look deeper than this arrangement."

   "No-"

   She cut me off, "The stairs take you to our second floor. The right wing will lead you to recreational activities and eventually up to more stairs with more guest bedrooms. The left wing involves different recreation items, outdoor equipment, and a gym. However, the stairs the corridor eventually leads to are mainly used for employee housing. And well, straight ahead takes you immediately to your room."

   I couldn't help but admire the complexity of the house. If only I were in it due to different circumstances. We walked up the few steps until we reached a small hallway with dim lighting and a dark oak door. Miss Dawson knocked lightly before opening it slowly.