The Promise

Cassandra POV.
   I couldn't really see. I didn't know if she was still holding a knife to my neck about to murder me, but I did know I no longer felt the blade. The whole time I felt like she could sense my lies and she was just a predator playing with its prey. In a final attempt to secure my life I needed to think fast, so I swung my head backward. Upon doing this I heard the shuffling of another set of footsteps. I don't know who it was, but I ran outside screaming for help. At the bottom of the steps I saw a frantic Dax and Miss Dawson. I screamed their names for help, as I passed out into their arms.

  I woke up underneath a warm fuzzy blanket. I looked around the room to see if there was anything out of the ordinary except everything was perfectly in its place.

  That was a crazy dream. I placed my fingers against my neck. Burning. Pain. I lightened the pressure and traced the small bandage against my skin, so that really did happen.

   I heard a light knock at the door. Kai came into the room wearing a black two piece suit and two broad men followed her inside. I quickly closed my eyes to pretend like I was still sleeping.

   "From now on, I want your men patrolling the estate walls at all times and I always want at least five men in rotation outside the house. If someone is ever a second late for a rotation without notifying me or Sanders, well, I don't think dead men need to worry about their families." Kai spoke bitterly.

   "Yes, Mrs. Braxton." They responded at the same time and I heard their footsteps exit the room.

  All but hers. Her footsteps were light and swift. She stood above me as her fingers traced my body from my hips to my chin. Next, I felt her breath hovering close to my face and soon after her lips pressed against my forehead. Then, a singular drop of water, that I assumed to be tears fell onto my face.

  Kai began to speak to herself, "Not even one day, and I cannot even protect my home. I never had anyone break into my estate let alone come close to hurting my family. Even though, we are not blood, you are mine by birth right -by the contractual binding from our families. The moment you stepped foot into my house it became your home and you became my burden to protect. My father always called us his burden, but his burden to bare so my mother didn't have to. I know he wanted a son, but instead he got me. Now, this empire and you, are my burden to bare. Not because it is weak to let people in, but because it dangerous to have people depend on you. And yet, it is also beneficial even though I don't see much of a benefit. I know you see me as intolerable, but I am sure we will grow to tolerate each other. I am sure, because arrange marriages has been around for centuries. At least, you are a breath of fresh air to me even if you're capable of being my worse enemy. I will figure this out. I will kill whoever is responsible out of respect for you, my wife. I may be a villain, but I will burn the whole world in order to protect what's mine. That's what makes me a monster."