⊱★⊰ 47 ⊱★⊰

⊱ ★ ⊰ ★ ⊱ ★ ⊰

'47 - With Love, Celeste'

⊱ ★ ⊰ ★ ⊱ ★ ⊰

 "CARINA ELAYNE TOUSSAINT"

We were down to about a dozen letters, all addressed from my mother, or at least, from a Celeste. Apparently, Gerald knew more than one of those.

"It must be one of these." Gerald said, picking up a few envelopes.

I mimicked him, taking a couple from the pile. Gerald mentioned that the letter should be addressed to me. None of the ones I was holding though, had any indication of my mother or her handwriting.

I threw them onto the pile of other letters behind us. Gerald did the same with his few.

There were six envelopes left.

"Are you sure there even is a letter? Maybe you got me mixed up with someone." I sighed, staring down at the letters.

Gerald picked up another envelope. "Course, I'm sure! You think I'd mix up something of such great importance?" he asked.

I looked over at the enormous pile of letters on my right. "I don't know, you tell me." I muttered in response.

"Ah! This looks promising!" Gerald exclaimed, holding an envelope out to me.

I took it from him, ready to throw it into the pile, but when I flipped it over...there was a beautiful, cursive letter E written on the front of it.

E.

Short for Elle?

"Well?" Gerald questioned, seeing my hesitation.

My heart began to race. Could this really be a letter from my mother?

"Go on, open it!" Gerald urged. I guess he too, realized that this might in fact be the letter.

Slowly and carefully, I opened the envelope. Reaching in with a now shaky hand, heart skipping beats like it's nobody's business, I began to pull the parchment out of it.

The first word I saw before having pulled the letter out of the envelope entirely, was Elle.

I froze mid movement. How many Celeste's could possibly exist that also know someone named Elle? It can't be a coincidence, right?

"I'll give you some time, while I go sort out the rest of these." Gerald said in a soft, reassuring tone as he stood up from the floor.

In all honesty, I wasn't paying any attention to him at this point.

Okay, it's fine. Carina, relax. Just, open the damn letter already.

I took a deep breath to hopefully calm myself down a bit and finally pulled the rest of the letter out. I then unfolded it, my hands still shaking, and began reading.