Chapter 35

MARIANO

Two days had passed since I'd last seen Ariel. Two days since she was kidnapped. Two days since we left her unguarded. Two long agonizing days of searching. This was all our fault,bloody fools we were.  Every second that passed without her felt like hours, how I missed her smile, her laugh, her touch. My every waking moment was occupied with me trying to find her, which was every minute of the day. Considering I hadn't slept a wink since. Sleeping was a luxury, I didn't deserve it. I was selfish to even think of closing my eyes to rest. How could I sleep, when the love of my life was possibly somewhere harsh, suffering.

A suffering that was indirectly my doing. Whoever took her must've been after me or my family. I was more than likely the target. Ariel wasn't involved in any of my business, but still she'd been unwillingly dragged into it.

Mitri and I tried our best to comfort each other, but our efforts had no effect. We were both on edge.

The thoughts that plagued my mind threatened me with madness. I couldn't fathom the idea of Ariel getting hurt, all in the name of getting to me. This was my fault, and despite Dmitri trying to convince me otherwise, I knew the truth. This wouldn't have happened if she wasn't with me.

I couldn't keep her safe.

My heart was heavy, slowly being torn apart from the thoughts that wormed their way into my head, jabbing at my conscience and eating sway at my hope.

So you could only imagine the great relief I'd felt when dad called me to say he'd found Ariel. And the anger that festered inside me when he revealed who had her.

DMITRI

I sighed in relief as my head rested against the passenger seat of Mariano's Audi. We'd found her.

Finally.

I was along the rails of madness for the past nights. Rest never came easy. And in all honesty, it never came at all. All my time had been spent searching high and low for her, following hints and tracking down and beating the shit out of people I suspected were involved.

A hand on my thigh brought me from my thoughts and I looked over to see Mari staring at me with assuring eyes. I smiled in return, shifting in my seat as a black van rounded the corner of Carbone's old warehouse.

The place wasn't much to look at, compared to our families'. But I had to admit, the man was making something of his own. If he continued down the path he was on, one day he'd surely be among the big names.

"They're here." I spoke as the van door slid open.

My face twisted into a frown when two men stepped from the van and started walking towards our car. I reached for my gun, looking over at Mariano to see he'd already drawn his.

The men separated, one coming by my window while the other went to Mari's. Dark tints made it impossible for them to see us but we could see their every move. The guy on my side raised his hand, hesitating for a second before knocking on my window.

I rolled it down halfway and he spoke. "Carbone's waiting for you inside."

In a few seconds, Mari and I were out of the vehicle and on our way to the warehouse, guns still at arm's reach. Though Luciano had discussed with Carbone and scheduled this meeting, we were still on gaurd. You never know if the opposite party is trustworthy.

My heart raced with all the possibilities of this meet up going down hill, but what overwhelmed me most was the thoughts of my Ariel. 

MARIANO