Chapter 31

MARIANO

"What?" I retorted, feeling genuinely confused.

We're our fathers' sons.

There was no way my mother was being serious. She had to have been playing a sick joke on me.

Dad.

And Vlad.

"Yup." Mom nodded, joining Vladimir on the front of the table. My eyes shifted from my father to him and I shook my head in disbelief. I refused to believe such a thing. It was impossible.

"Dad?" Dmitri spoke up with, his voice questioning. But his father looked to the side, refusing to give an answer.

"Oh come on Vladdy." My mom purred and Vladimir looked up, meeting her eyes.

"It's a long story." He kept his reply short, offering Mitri a tight lipped smile.

"Is it?" Mitri pressed, folding his arms and raising a pierced brow.

"Yes." Vlad and dad replied nonchalantly. I could sense the uneasiness in their tones. But they'd put Dmitri and I on the spot, so I wasn't going to give up now that the tables were turned.

"We have time, don't we Mitri." I frowned at them both before glancing over to his as he nodded in agreement.

"Well I don't." Dad got up from his chair, moving to stand beside mom.

"Sit your fine ass down." She ordered, and he did. Sandwiching her between him and Vlad.

"It's not a long story, well not very very long but it's long. But like you said, we have time and since both your fathers are behaving poorly..." She shared a sharp glance between the men that sat on both her sides before continuing. "As they usually do, I'll do the honours of sharing their story with you."

"I'm in it of course, cause I'm the main character. You know, like I always am." Mom sassed, earning a chuckle from Vlad and Dad.

"So....." She paused. "Where to begin?"

"The beginning." Mitri added in a an asking tone.

"Yes, yes." Mom replied. "The beginning."

"It was a dark and gloomy night, in an old run down apartment in the Bronx where bedbugs always bite...."

"Kelsey." Both our fathers called mom's name immediately as she started her story, she just giggled in response. This caused Mitri to chuckle and I couldn't help but smile.

"Okay okay. Let's be serious this time, no more jokes." Mom laughed before continuing.

"So anyway, I don't know where I was born but I had a pretty shithole for a life. And I mean literally. I lived in a shit pit. Crackheads used to shit all over the stairway in my apartment building. I stepped in it once and almost threw my whole fucking leg away." She gagged at the memory.

"What, were you wearing shoes?" Vlad asked, baffled by the revelation.

"Yes, yes. You never sucked any crackhead shit toes." Mom responded and Vlad exhaled a sigh of relief while Dad just laughed.

"I grew up with my mother, that woman tried to sell me for drugs when I was a kid so be glad you never got to meet her.  Didn't know my Dad, until I was about nineteen twenty." She stated and I could see her mood drop.

"When I was eighteen I was working for the sweetest old man. Mr Brown, I think was his name but it's been so long I hardly remember. One faithful night while on my way home, my life changed forever. I was kidnapped." Mom dropped the bomb and I gasped.