Episode 16: What's Her Secret?

Setting: Il-deung's house
Il-deung: She was just like my mother! I don't want anything to happen to her! I won't be able to take it!
Soo-ah: Yah Il-deung! Don't be so negative, nothing will happen to her!
-suddenly out of nowhere Il-deung hugged Soo-ah. She was taken aback but soon she understood that he needs someone right now. He needs someone to calm him down. She tried to console him. Il-deung's cries suppressed into sobs and slowly he drifted into sleep with a heavy heart. Soo-ah lay him down on the bed. When she was about to leave, Il-deung held her hand in half sleep.
Il-deung: (in sleepy voice). Don't leave me please! Please don't.
-Soo-ah slowly sat down next to him
Soo-ah: Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. (She was feeling very sorry for him)
On the other hand
Setting: Seoul City Hospital
-here Ha-rin was sleeping on Seo-jun's shoulder. He was gently caressing her hand. Ha-rin was in sleep but she kept getting negative thoughts.
So-hyun: Princess! (Muffled voices)
Ha-rin: (in sleepy voice) Mom. Mom where are you? Mom, please come to me. Mom!
She suddenly woke up from a nightmare
Ha-rin: Seo-jun, where's my mom? Seo-jun, nothing will happen to her know!? (She started heavily breathing as if she was having a panic attack)
Seo-jun: Shh. Ha-rin calm down.
Ha-rin: No Seo-jun. Where is mom? She was calling me. I heard her. Seo-jun tell me know where is she...
Seo-jun: Ha-rin! (He said while holding her arms and raising his voice a little bit. She immediately looked at him being all silent) Ha-rin, I said know, calm down. (Ha-rin calmed down a bit) The surgery...
Ha-rin: (curious) what about it?
Seo-jun: The surgery went well. Your mother is fine now. She is unconscious right now but the doctor said that she will soon regain her consciousness and then you can meet her.
Ha-rin: Seo-jun is this really true! You aren't lying right?
Seo-jun: Look in my eyes and say that I am lying.
-Ha-rin, without wasting a second embraced him!
Ha-rin: You know how worried I was. The negative thoughts swore to not leave my head. I was very scared.
Seo-jun: Now there's nothing to be scared of. She is fine. (Ha-rin was in his arms for a few moments when she slowly broke the hug realizing the reality)
Ha-rin: I...I am sorry.
Seo-jun: For what...
Ha-rin: Where's Soo-ah? Wasn't she here a few hours ago? Where did she go? (She immediately changed the topic while wiping her tears)
Seo-jun: Well she is with Il-deung.
Ha-rin: Oh. He must be very worried too. I must go to meet him but then who will be with mom?
Seo-jun: Don't worry, you can visit him. The doctor said it might take some time for her to wake up.
Ha-rin: Hmm.
Seo-jun: Come, let's go together. (He said while holding her hand)
Ha-rin: It's okay, I will go by myself. (She said while trying to pull her hand off but he didn't let go)
Seo-jun: Just come with me. You are not in the state of riding a motorcycle.
Ha-rin: But...
Seo-jun: No more arguments. (He said coldly while taking her with him)
-they got in into a taxi and drove to Il-deung's place. Ha-rin was looking out of the window. Seo-jun was looking at her. He slowly held her hand causing her to look at him.
Seo-jun: It must have been hard for you, right? You have had so many hardships growing up. You must be very strong. Don't let your tears get the best of you. (Ha-rin slowly nodded at him She was about to look outside the window again but then she looked at him and spoke)
Ha-rin: Seo-jun...
Seo-jun: Hmm
Ha-rin: Can I ask you something?
Seo-jun: What is it?
Ha-rin: Why...why are you doing this all for me? (He reacted nothing)
Seo-jun: C'mon, we've reached. (He was about to get off but Ha-rin slightly pulled him back as she was curious to know the answer. Seo-jun landed back to his seat, a little closer to Ha-rin)
Ha-rin: Tell know Seo-jun.
Seo-jun: (He gently put a hair strand behind her ear and spoke very calmly) Later. There's someone who needs you right now. (Ha-rin thought about Il-deung and hummed in response)
-They both got off the taxi. When they both reached the front gate of Il-deung's house, both were about to ring the bell when their fingers touched. They both look away.
Seo-jun, Ha-rin: I am sorry. (They said at the same time making them look at each other. Finally Ha-rin broke the eye contact and rang the bell. Soo-ah opened the door)
Setting: Il-deung"s house
Soo-ah: Kiyomi. (She hugged her) I am glad you came. (Il-deung immediately looked at the entrance when he heard Soo-ah say "Kiyomi") I am pretty sure he needs you.
-Seo-Jun and Ha-rin came inside. While Ha-rin was asking Soo-ah about Il-deung, he suddenly came to Ha-rin and engulfed her in his arms. He was on the verge of crying. Seo-jun and Soo-ah looked at each other. They got reminded of times when they used to console each other in hard times. Soo-ah came towards Seo-jun and held hands with him.
Soo-ah: Thank you. (She whispered to him)
Seo-jun: No, thanks to you. (He whispered back)
-it's known that anyone can have a painful past but not everyone always have someone beside them in their hard times. Seo-jun and Soo-ah were always there for each other. The always had someone's shoulder to support them when they would let their tears out. Being with someone in their happy moments is pretty easy but in hard times, it's pretty difficult.
Ha-rin: Yah buttercup, think about me. If you become so weak, what will happen to me? If you start crying, I cannot imagine what I will do. After all I am way more sensitive than you. (She whined while hugging him back) C'mon, look at me like a true man! (She said while breaking the hug. She made a direct eye contact with him and said sternly.) Don't dare let that tear escape! Don't you dare become my weakness when you actually have to become my strength, Buttercup.
-Ha-rin's words as if awakened a bright light inside Il-deung. He blinked a couple of times and scoffed. All three were confused by his sudden reaction.
Il-deung: Yah, I am not a kid! What'd you think? I will be crying without you? Nope. You don't know how strong your Buttercup is. I know nothing with happen to me lovey dovey ajumma! (He said with confidence. She brightly smiled at him and said)
Ha-rin: Omo! This much confidence! Looks like God listened to you!
Il-deung: What do you mean?
Ha-rin: Your lovey dovey ajumma is absolutely fine now! (She said while pinching his cheeks)
Il-deung: What? Really?(He quickly took off her hand and hugged her tightly)
Ha-rin: Yah, go hug your ajumma, don't squish me! (She said playfully and finally hugged him back)
-while Ha-rin was in Il-deung's embrace she got lost into her thoughts. The thought of how to pay for the surgery. She didn't have enough money plus she couldn't just ask her friends. She didn't want to look pitiful. Seo-jun noticed how she was lost in her thoughts. Ha-rin came back to the reality and broke the hug and looked at Il-deung.
Ha-rin: Buttercup, listen carefully! I need your help now.
Il-deung: What is it?
Ha-rin: I need you to stay with my mom till she wakes up. I have some important work so I won't be able to stay with her. And Soo-ah, will you please come with me for a second?
Soo-ah: Sure. (Ha-rin and Soo-ah were just about to go out but Il-deung held Ha-rin's hand)
Ha-rin: What happened?
Il-deung: Cupcake, what's more important than your mom? (Ha-rin knew he wouldn't understand why she was rushing out but Il-deung's knows her way too much)
Ha-rin: Dear Buttercup, just give me an hour. I will be back soon. (She said with hope in her eyes)
Il-deung: But... (Suddenly Ha-rin's phone rang)
Ha-rin: I need to take this. (She went out holding Soo-ah's hand)
-well it was a call from Hospital. She knew it would be for payment. That's why she was so worried about all the time. She didn't receive the call, instead typed a message saying that she is arranging the money and will pay it real soon. She didn't pick up the call because of Soo-ah.
Soo-ah: What happened Ha-rin? Is everything fine?
Ha-rin: Mm hmm. Well I called you because I needed yours and Seo-jun's help. I know you both had already done enough but I am so sorry for asking more. (She said while holding Soo-ah's hands)
Soo-ah: Don't think about that, just tell what help do you need.
Ha-rin: Just stay with Il-deung. It's all I am asking for. The thing is he gets panic attacks whenever he someone dying. So just be with him while he's in the hospital.
Soo-ah: Okay.
Ha-rin: Thank you so much. I will have to take a leave now. I promise I'll be back soon! (She said assuring her)
-That day, Ha-rin got reminded of someone and somehow managed to pay for the surgery. Some says passed and her mom's health improved. Everything slowly went back to the way it was except for one thing. Ha-rin used to always be bothered by something which Seo-jun noticed all the time.

Time Skip

Setting: Coffee bean and Tea leaf café
-Ha-rin and Seo-jun were working as usual. Ha-rin seemed to be in her own world. She was thinking of something when Seo-jun called out her name.
Seo-jun: Ha-rin (no response from her) Ha-rin (still no response) Ha-rin! (He said while holding her arm and raising his voice a little bit)
Ha-rin: (blinked to come to reality) Huh, you called? I am sorry. (She looked down in embarrassment)
Seo-jun: Ha-rin, look at me. (He said while turning her towards him by holding her both arms. She looked at him) Is something bothering you? Trust me and tell me.
Ha-rin's mind: I trust him but should I really tell him? No! It will be very selfish.But does it mean he'll think I don't trust him? What should I do? Even if I want to, my lips won't utter a word. I wish you could read my mind. I am sorry Seo-jun, I can't tell you anything. You have already done enough for me.
Seo-jun: Say Ha-rin.
Ha-rin: Seo-jun, it's nothing. I am just a little sick that's why my head is paining a bit. That's why I am not able to focus. (She said while taking his hands off her) Don't worry. I will be fine.
-Seo-Jun was now convinced something's definitely wrong. He didn't question further because he knew Ha-rin would deny all of them so he decided to follow her to find out a clue of what's going on in her mind. Soon after the time was up, Ha-rin bid goodbye to him and left for her home. Quickly, Seo-jun packed up as well and followed her from a distance so that she wouldn't notice him.
Ha-rin: Tomorrow is the last day of the week. I still don't have the required amount to pay. What will I do? Now to whom can I ask for help? God, please help me. (She whispered this all to herself)
-slowly Ha-rin was coming nearer towards her home when suddenly an old lady bumped with Seo-jun. He had to stop to help her as she dropped her support stick and purse.
Seo-jun: I am really sorry! I hope you aren't hurt. (He said while picking up her purse and stick)
Granny: Thank you, I am fine. (She then fixed her glasses and took a glance at Seo-jun) Wah, such a handsome young boy. It is really hard to find boys like you who are kind and good-looking at the same time. May God bless you dear.(She said as she fondly placed a hand on his head)
-soon the old lady left. When Seo-jun looked back on his track, Ha-rin was nowhere to be found. Panic took all over him and he rushed towards her home direction. Here, Ha-rin was looking down and slowly walking towards her home which was now just a few steps away. She immediately stopped on her tracks when she heard a dark chuckle.
??? : Ha-rin dear, what are you thinking about? (A drunken man blocking Ha-rin's way said in a very creepy way. Ha-rin started shivering. With much courage, she barely managed to look up only to see the person in front of her smirking like a maniac. She gasped in fear)