Episode 29: Mothers Or Healers?

-Ha-rin rushed to the reception of the hospital. Ha-rin received a message from the hospital conveying that her mother is sick therefore without wasting anytime, Ha-rin ran over here.
Ha-rin: Ma'am can I know the condition of patient in room no. 244?
Receptionist: Ma'am I guess Dr. Han can only help you with that. She has been accounted for her.
Ha-rin: Umm where can I find her? (She asked worriedly)
Receptionist: Well right now she is engaged in a surgery. It might be her last surgery for the day. You can visit the patient till then.
Ha-rin: Thank you so much. (She said as she went to her mother. Before entering her room, she wiped her tears) Mom, see who's here!
So-hyun: Oh Ha-rin dear! How are you?
Ha-rin: Well I must ask you that.
So-hyun: Me? What has happened to me? I am completely fine! Tell me, how did your exams go?
Ha-rin: Very nice. (She replied when her mother coughed a bit) Mom, are you fine?! (She said as she passed her the glass of water kept beside her)
-So-hyun took the glass and drank some water.
Ha-rin: Mom you said you were fine! Is this what you call fine?
So-hyun: Princess, it was just a little cough otherwise I am fine.
Ha-rin: Mom you must rest now. (She said and covered her with blanket till her neck) Take care mom.
So-hyun: You too princess. (She said and closed her eyes. Ha-rin kissed her forehead and went out)
-Ha-rin came out and sat on the bench just outside her room. She buried her head in her hands and started crying. That time a lady came near her and placed her hand on her head. Ha-rin looked up.
Ha-rin: Mrs. Han So-hee?
So-hee: Oh, aren't you Kim Ha-rin, the girl who saved me the other day. (Ha-rin nodded) But why are you crying dear. Tell me what happened.
Ha-rin: My mother is sick. I want to meet Dr. Han. Can you help me find her?
So-hee: Looks like you have already found her. (She said and smiled)
Ha-rin: Oh, I am so sorry I didn't know. Dr. please save my mom. (She said as she hugged So-hee)
-So-hee hugged her back as for the first time she felt like her own child is hugging her. She caressed her head.
So-hee: Shh, don't cry. Your mother is fine. It is just that you didn't meet her for long, that's why she was missing you. Nothing else. Now stop crying. Come on wipe your tears.
Ha-rin: Thank you so much Doctor.
So-hee: I won't accept your thank you.
Ha-rin: But why not.
So-hee: For me to accept it, you have to come to my home now.
Ha-rin: Umm...but
So-hee: I am not hearing anything. (Finally Ha-rin smiled)
Ha-rin: Okay, I'll go with you. (So-hee also smiled and held her hand)
So-hee: Let's go then.
-both of them drove to So-hee's house. It was pretty luxurious.
So-hee: Ha-rin dear, you sit here. I'll get something for you to eat.
Ha-rin: It's okay Doctor. You must sit as well after all, you would be tired too.
So-hee: First of all, don't call me doctor. It feels like I'm still at work. You can call me anything else.
Ha-rin: You only tell, what shall I call you?
So-hee: You can call me Mom. (Ha-rin's eyes widened but she didn't feel bad. From when she met her first, she always felt a connection with her. She didn't reply till So-hee came and sat beside her on the sofa) What happened dear?
-Ha-rin just laid her head on So-hee's shoulder. So-hee sensed that Ha-rin is having a hard time.
So-hee: Don't worry Ha-rin. Everything will be fine. Oh I forgot to congratulate you.
Ha-rin: For what Doc...I mean Mom?
So-hee: You dance so well and your voice is so sweet. You got the Best Performer Award in the Kpop Talent festival.
Ha-rin: How did you know?
So-hee: Well I was present there. A professional doctor was needed and my son was also on the trip.
Ha-rin: Your son? (That time a photo frame caught Ha-rin's eyes. She looked up at So-hee in surprise) Mom, who is that in the frame?
So-hee: That's my son, Han Seo-jun. He is a very good boy. You are his friend right?
-Ha-rin was very surprised hearing this.
Ha-rin: But weren't Seo-jun's parents dead? (She thought)
So-hee: I know what you are thinking right now. You must be thinking that how could I be his mom as his parents are no more right?
Ha-rin: How did you know? Are you a mind reader? (So-hee chuckled)
So-hee: No dear. I just noticed the way Seo-jun looked at you that day. You two seemed pretty close so I suppose that he must have already told you this. It's true his parents are no more. I am his step mother.
Ha-rin: Oh.
So-hee: That's right. He comes here sometimes but otherwise he lives on his own. He shows that he hates me but I know he doesn't. He just thinks that by staying away from me he is keeping me safe. But since you and your friend have met him, he comes here more often. Thank you for that dear.
Ha-rin: Oh mom, you don't need to thank me. I was just fulfilling my duty as a good friend.
So-hee: You sure are dear. Ha-rin dear, I don't want Seo-jun to lose such good friends that he has made after a long time. Apart from Soo-ah, you have supported him a lot as well. Dear don't be angry with my Seo-jun ever. He might be a little cold at times but that's just because he is not good at expressing himself. If he ever does any silly mistakes, try to understand him and forgive him. I know I sound a little selfish now, but I just want to see my son happy. He has gone through a lot after all.
Ha-rin: I understand you Mom. (She said as So-hee patted her head)
-Soon Ha-rin fell asleep on her lap.
Setting: Soo-ah's house
Il-deung: I wish Cupcake's mom is fine now.
Soo-ah: Everything will be fine Il-deung. Well do you want to eat something, you might be hungry right? Well I have some ice cream in the freezer! Wait here I'll get it. (Il-deung instead of waiting just followed her) Where is it, I kept it here only. (She said while searching in the freezer)
-Soo-ah finally found it and excitedly turned back only to meet Il-deung's face so close. Soo-ah's breath hitched.
Il-deung: What happened Soo-ah?
Soo-ah: Y...Your ice cream. (She badly stuttered and tried to avoid the eye contact)
Il-deung: Thank you! (He said while taking the ice cream from her hand when their fingers brushed)
-Soo-ah gently pushed him ran to the hall and sat on the sofa. Il-deung chuckled and went to sit beside.
Soo-ah: So Il-deung, will you be coming to the farewell?
Il-deung: Probably yes. (Il-deung noticed that there was ice cream on Soo-ah's lips. He gently used his finger to wipe it off. Soo-ah was just looking at his eyes. That time Il-deung looked at her too)
-their faces once again not too far away. Slowly Soo-ah closed her eyes and moved her face even closer. But Il-deung just smiled and moved back. Soo-ah opened her eyes and understood that she got fooled. She pulled Il-deung by his collar and brought him close again.
Soo-ah: Why don't you tell me clearly huh? If you love me or not... (Il-deung blinked a couple of times and moved back. Soo-ah too let go off his collar)
Il-deung: I shall leave now, Soo-ah. (He said as he started to leave. Soo-ah wasn't expecting this)
Soo-ah: It's my mistake. Why did I have to be so straightforward? (She said as she face palmed)

Next day
Ha-rin was at her home thinking if she should talk to Seo-jun as all this time, it wasn't his fault. And if his mistake was ignoring then she too committed the same mistake. She was thinking all this when her phone rang. It was Soo-ah.
Ha-rin: (OTP) Hello?
Soo-ah: Hie Kiyomi!! What are you doing?
Ha-rin: Nothing much really.
Soo-ah: Then shall we go somewhere?
Ha-rin: Sure.
Soo-ah: Tell me, when shall I meet you?
Ha-rin: Well, I am free the whole day. You can come at my home.
Soo-ah: Okay, I'm coming then! Byee! (With that the call was cut and Ha-rin went to get ready)
-soon Soo-ah came to Ha-rin's house and from there, they went to the mall.
Ha-rin: Well Soo-ah, why did you take me here?
Soo-ah: Hmm, the main reason is that I want to buy a gift for Seo-jun.
Ha-rin: A gift? Why is that?
Soo-ah: Oh, did I not tell you? Well Seo-jun's birthday is on the same day as our farewell that is tomorrow!!
Ha-rin: Really? I never knew that.
Soo-ah: Well it's a good opportunity for you to make up with him, don't you think?
Ha-rin: Hmm.
Soo-ah: Well before starting, shall we get drinks for us?
Ha-rin: Sure! (With that they headed to the nearby coffee store)
Cashier: What would you like?
Ha-rin and Soo-ah: One Valencia Orange Cocoa Cappuccino! (They said at the same time)