Chapter Twenty-Nine

Hi Everyone!

Don't forget to like & leave a comment, I love to hear from you all!!

|| ✨ ||

"You look nervous," Nova comments from my side as we stand outside Danny's house, waiting for Levi and Nico to arrive.

The party rages inside the farmhouse with a few stragglers hanging around outside smoking. Being this far away from the town blankets everything around us in silence. The only interruption is from a cow mooing at the farm next to us.

Fiddling with the ties of my hoodie, I glare at Nova. "I am not nervous," I hiss, a white puff of air leaving my lips as I speak. Fuck, it's cold.

Nova gives me a knowing look, blowing out a puff of smoke from her joint. "Your face is red, and you keep tapping your foot."

I huff, tucking my hands into the pockets of my hoodie. "My face is red because it's fucking cold and my foot is tapping because I'm fucking cold."

The two of us stand a few ways down the dirt driveway, just within reach of the outside light attached to the porch awning. Cars litter the grass around us haphazardly and I pray for anyone that's parked closest to the house that plans to leave early. The bass from the sound system thumps so loudly, we can feel the vibrations in our feet.

Hallie stays inside, playing a game of strip charades in one of the bedrooms. This game apparently required signed NDAs for the players that the pre-law majors had drawn up for safety and liability reasons. I didn't ask.

Although I'm not sure how she's going to get out of the black corset she's wearing for tonight, that shit took both Nova's foot on her back and me yanking the ties to get it on.

Nova and I opted for a more simplistic look of black jeans and combat boots with a decent top under a black hoodie. There is no way I was risking a nice outfit on a night like tonight. The game Lights Out has killed many a cute outfit in the last few years.

Headlights light up the space in front of us and a Jeep pulls into the driveway before turning into the only available patch of grass left over near the mailbox. "That's Nico's car," I mumble under my breath.

My foot nervously taps the dirt, wondering if I should meet him at the car or wait for him in the light.

An arm nudges me. "Aren't you supposed to run into his arms right about now?" Nova questions with a teasing smile.

"Shut up," I whine, shoving her away from me. She chuckles quietly taking another hit off her joint.

Levi and Nico's silhouettes appear on the driveway and I feel my heart rate speed up at the idea of seeing him in the light. The fact that he was willing to spend time with me in a place that was going to feel foreign to him, around people he wasn't used to, made me appreciate him more.