Chapter Fifty-One

Don't forget to like & leave a comment. Your comments make my day!

 Your comments make my day!

|| ✨ ||

"Drink?" A quiet voice asks as they throw a gentle arm around my shoulder.

I glance up from the table at Jonah and give him a close-lipped smile. "Just one, please, and a glass of water too," I answer with a smile, leaning my head back on his shoulder.

He presses a kiss to the top of my head and disappears with Charlie into the small crowd.

We're at O'Connors tonight as a 'Welcome Back' get-together for the new semester. Nova and I arrived back on campus a few hours ago. Henry drove us all the way here with Wren in the car too.

The last few days at home were...difficult. Well, that's not entirely true, Henry spent more time working from home and acted as a buffer between Paige and myself. She kept to herself most of the time, Dove being the only real exception. Wren, as usual, ignored her.

Nova hasn't left my side since entering the bar. It's been over two weeks since I've had a single alcoholic drink. Cutting it off completely didn't particularly feel like the right move. It was good to take a break from it, I think it proved necessary after what happened. But I need to prove to myself that I can control my intake and behavior. If I can't, then the discussion about removing alcohol from my life can be brought forward.

For now, baby steps.

Hallie, in solidarity, holds her first and only cocktail glass up to her face, sipping delicately from the straw.

Vivian and Anja have made a reappearance after having not seen them in a while. Nova mentioned something about them not wanting to be around the athletes all the time which led to them distancing themselves. Hell, I can't really blame them, that was me six months ago.

"So, Wren has a crush on a guy?" Hallie practically squeals, leaning forward, elbows resting on the sticky table.

I shrug. "She refuses to acknowledge it but the kid came over to check on her," I explain. Wren is a literal Rubix cube, complicated until you learn her little tricks that indicate her feelings. Not slamming the door in his face when he came over was a huge sign. Plus the way she shooed Nova and me upstairs when we casually sat in the kitchen making toast we didn't plan on eating while we spied on them.

Hallie visibly shakes with excitement. "That is so fucking cute!" She slumps into her seat, a wistful smile on her face. "I miss high school relationships," she throws an arm outward making Anja duck out of the way, "All college guys care about is their body count and getting their dicks sucked."

"Facts," Jonah says, placing a fruity cocktail in front of me, "Just ask Charlie, my guy crushed double digits last semester." Charlie smacks the back of Jonah's head from behind him.

Nova gapes at Charlie as he sips from his beer bottle. "Charlie, you whore!" Hallie cackles, falling over in her seat. Vivian struggles to hold her up, her own giggling leaving them sprawling across the seat.