Chapter Forty-Six

Wow, I've been terrible at replying to comments on the last couple of chapters! I'll focus on replying this weekend because I just love reading your thoughts and responses!!

|| ✨ ||

Taking a tentative sip of my steaming cup of coffee, my friends crowd closer to me, watching me with careful eyes. Nova and Hallie sit on either side of me. Jonah and Charlie are on the other side of the booth while Nico and Levi sit in chairs at the end of the table.

What they're doing here is lost on me. But I'm too tired to ask.

The pounding in my head drowns out any noise from the quiet diner. Paulie, the owner, sits behind the counter, doing some paperwork, his glasses on the edge of his nose as he stares down.

H this wife, Debbie, was the one that found me sitting outside of their diner earlier this morning. She ushered me inside even though I had no money. I must look terrible. Unable to stop my hands trembling from the cold, I tuck them under my thighs.

My eye hurts like a bitch. And from the way Nova dips a napkin in the glass of water on the table and starts dabbing at my face, it's clear that I probably look a little more beat up than I thought.

That's what happens when you fall out of a moving car, I guess.

Nova glances down at the dirty napkin, blots of red mixing with the mud, and looks up at me. "Do you need to go to an Urgent Care or something?" she asks, her fingers pressing and prodding different body parts, looking for any broken bones.

I just lean my head on her shoulder, relishing in her warmth. "I'm okay, no broken bones," I murmur.

She sighs in relief. "Good." And then punches my arm. My jaw drops, my hand moving to rub the sore spot. "You had me worried sick," she slams a palm on the table, most likely in restraint from hitting me again, "I had to beg Madison to tell me what happened, I can't believe you hung out with that fucking bitch, seriously."

My lips form a pout as my head falls back onto her shoulder. "She guilt-tripped me."

Hallie shakes her head in disappointment. "I'll set her hair on fire next time I see her."

A weak chuckle comes from me and I pat her thigh in quiet thanks. "It's not her fault," I remind her, "I'm the one that disappeared first."

"And we're going to talk about it later, don't you fucking worry," Nova says but it comes out less reassuring and more threatening. Being a relatively smart person, I sink further into the booth seat.

Jonah rests his elbow on the table and points at me. "Yeah, we're going to need a little more info on what happened there, do we need to chain you to a buddy on a night out now? You never disappear on us."

I stay quiet for a moment. I barely even remember last night. After Madison guilted me into going for a drink with her, I remember being in O'Connors and she'd ordered us drinks.