Chapter Twenty-Six

Hi Everyone!

Okay, this never gets easier to write. Please be kind because writing scenes like this is still very new to me. Thank you.

Don't forget to like & leave a comment, I love to hear from you!

|| ✨ ||

The car ride on the way home was silent. Levi barely said a word. He just grabbed my hand and didn't let go the whole way home. We didn't stop for anything. He glanced over now and then, making sure I was okay.

Music plays in the background. Some song with a quiet melody. Lulling the listener into a sense of calm while she sings about falling in love.

Tears prick the corner of my eyes but they don't fall. I hold it together. But I had a headache and the pressure of needing to get something off my chest while trying not to cry amplified that headache.

Nova tried to call but I responded with a text, assuring her Wren was okay. Levi offered to phone her for me but I declined, pressing a kiss to his cheek when we stopped at a red light.

We're a few minutes out of town now. Houses sparsely fill the empty land between the college and the next town over.

"You want me to take you home?" He asks cautiously, rubbing his thumb along the back of my hand. Staring down at our interlocked hands, I shake my head. "Do you want me to call Nova and take you down to O'Connors to hang out with your friends?"

Pressing my head against the headrest, I swing my gaze to his face. His side profile is stunning. There's no other word to describe it. The sun is setting in the background, outlining his profile as he focuses on the road. His nose is straight, his lips full and his eyes bright.

"Are you busy tonight?" I ask softly, blinking up at him.

I didn't want to go home to the Spanish Inquisition that I knew would commence the second I stepped inside that house. There were times when you needed to just escape life for a brief moment to mentally prepare yourself. I didn't want to think, I just wanted to be around him.

His lips twitch into a smile. "No, I'm not busy."

Resting my arms on the console between us, I smile at him. "Want to hang out?"

"Yeah, of course." The light turns green and he drives straight. "Wanna do a movie night or something?" He asks, skipping the turn to my street and past campus toward his apartment building.

"That sounds like fun." I sit up, leaning back in my seat. "And thank you, for driving my sister home."

If you'd asked me a month ago if I would be seen voluntarily spending time with an athlete and someone like Levi Saints, I would have laughed in your face. But here I am. Here we are. Getting to know each other.

Granted, he's gotten a little more information about me than I would have liked for not having a label on our whatever it is. But for once I don't seem to mind someone knowing more about me. He hasn't said a single thing about it and it's a silent gesture that means a lot to me.