Chapter Forty-Seven

|| ✨ ||

|| ✨ ||

Finals were over. I wrote the last two this week, the days after I woke up at the diner. Nova tried to convince me to ask for an extension but at this point, winter break was about to start and an extra day to study wouldn't have done anything to help.

I've kept to myself the last few days until Christmas Break. Gianna did check on me, weird I know. But from what she said, Nova was so concerned she got Gianna involved in the search for me. Hearing that made me want to sob all over again. I don't deserve a best friend like her.

Sitting on the bus leaving my college town, I stare up at the small television screen at the front of the bus, giving us a grainy version of a Disney movie. Nova and Hallie dropped me off a few minutes ago. Nova's mom was picking her up from the sorority house, she'd taken a few days off from the hospital to spend some time with Nova. Hallie was going to the small airport in the next town so she could fly out to Texas later today.

To say I was dreading going home would be tough to admit. I didn't mind being home, my mother basically ignored me whenever I was around so it wasn't all bad. Wren mentioned that she's super cranky lately since her third trimester started, therefore I will be staying even further away from her.

But maybe it will be good for me to get away from campus for a bit. Away from that sense of freedom to a place that's more controlled. Or maybe I'm just insane.

Sprawling fields are the only view for the first few hours of the trip. The last time I took this trip was with Levi after Wren had attempted to torture our mother for forgetting to pick her up from school.

That moment felt like forever ago instead of barely two months. I haven't reached out to him since the diner. I don't think either of us is in a position to calmly talk about the breakup. There are still unaccounted-for feelings and words that need to be acknowledged before we're able to broach what happened between us. And God knows I have some issues to look at on my side.

Nova suggested a therapist, and I countered with no. She didn't seem to think it was funny. But I don't want to see a therapist. I know I have a shitty life, I don't want to have to talk about it with someone who's going ask me how I feel about this and that or to go to my happy place. That's not going to do shit.

I'm so absorbed in my own thoughts, I almost miss the Welcome to Westlyn sign. It's a short drive from the town limits to the bus terminal. Piles of snow sit on either side of the road, slowing the bus down due to the narrow lanes.

While Chesley University is located in a small college town, Westlyn is a lot larger. A lot of wealthy families live in this area. It's tucked in the suburbs but still within a decent distance from Manhattan.

The bus pulls into the small terminal in the center of town closest to the post office. Families walk around the town center doing last-minute Christmas shopping or wandering through the outdoor Christmas market they hold here every year.