Best Friends Talk

"So Leo's been cooped up in his room for a week?" asked Casey. Mikey, Raph and Donnie were sitting in the living room with him and April in their flat. April was practising her powers while the boys sat on the couch or the floor.

"Yeah, ever since Mirabel left," said Donnie. "We tried to talk to him and get him out of his room but Leo's just being stubborn."

"More stubborn than me," added Raph. "His powers have gotten out of hand and his room is completely frosted, not to mention its spreading into the hallway."

"And now little Bonita's run away," Mikey put in.

"What made Mirabel leave?" asked April as she decorated the lamps with her diamonds.

Raph folded his arms. "She dreamt of Abuelo Pedro showing her visions of her family missing her."

"Who's Abuelo Pedro?" asked Casey.

"Mirabel's grandfather," said Donnie.

"It's pretty crazy she met her dead grandpa in her dream," added the red-masked turtle.

"Her grandfather's dead?" asked the red-haired girl, walking over to Raph and kneeling on the floor beside him. "What happened to him?"

"He was killed by some violent bad soldiers who had attacked his and Mirabel's grandmother's home," Raph said.

"Oh my..." April felt bad.

Casey shuddered. "I can't even imagine what that was like."

"The grandmother didn't commit suicide," said April relieved.

"Commit suicide?" asked Mikey. "What does that mean?"

"It means...kill yourself," April replied.

"Why would you say that?" asked the purple-masked turtle confused.

"Because last year a month after Leo left for his training I was shopping when I heard a news report," said April. "A man had been hit by a bus and his wife got so depressed about it that she drowned herself in the lake."

"That's terrible," cried Mikey.

"I know," said the black-haired boy. "When April told me about it I felt bad for the couple.....especially for their two daughters."

"They had two daughters?" asked Donnie surprised.

"Yes," said April. "The oldest was fourteen and the youngest was only two years old when it happened."

The turtles looked at each other in concern. "What happened to the girls?" asked the red-masked turtle.

"They're living with their dad's sister and her family," said Casey.

"That's a relief," said Raph.

"But Abuela Alma couldn't kill herself Julieta, Pepa and Bruno weren't old enough to take care of themselves," said the orange-masked turtle.

"Who are Julieta, Pepa and Bruno?" asked Casey.

"Abuela and Abuelo's triplets and Mirabel's mum, aunt and uncle," said Donnie.

"How old were they when it happened?" asked Casey.

"Newborns," said Raph.

"Oh," Casey gasped, covering his mouth with his hands.

"That's so sad," said April, tearing up. "Those poor kids' father missed so much...their first words...their first steps...everything."

"I know," said Donnie sadly. "We felt sorry for Mirabel's mum, aunt and uncle. They were so young."

Then Casey had an idea. "Why don't you guys send Leo here tomorrow night? I'll talk with him."

"Okay," said Donnie smiling.