Dos Oruguitas

Back in Colombia, Mirabel walked and walked. When she reached a river, she tired. So she sat down on a rock for a rest.

At first, there was silence except for the water hitting the rocks.

"Mirabel," a voice said behind her said. It was Abuela Alma.

Mirabel just kept her gaze on the water. "I'm sorry...I didn't want to hurt us...I just...wanted...to be something...I'm not."

Abuela sat beside her granddaughter and looked across the river. "I've never been able...to come back here," she said. "This river...is where we...were given our miracle."

Mirabel looked at her grandmother. "Where...Abuelo Pedro?"

Abuela sighed. "I thought we would have a different life...I thought...I would be a different woman."

As a flashback to fifty-two years ago came music began to play.

It was the Day of light candles and Young Abuela Alma was joining in the celebration. Since there was a big crowd, Abuela climbed onto a lamppost to have a better look.

She noticed a golden butterfly flutter by and she caught sight of Abuelo Pedro. He was holding onto a lamppost as well.

As a golden butterfly fluttered past him, Abuelo spotted Abuela and waved to her, smiling.

Abuela waved back but she almost fell off her lamppost. But she managed to grab hold. Abuelo giggled.

SINGER: Two oruguitas

Abuelo and Abuela started to spend a lot of time together.

SINGER: In love and yearning
Spend every evening

Soon the two fell in love and married.

SINGER: And morning learning
To hold each other

A year later, Abuela found out she was pregnant with triplets. Abuelo fainted from hearing the news.

SINGER: Their hunger burning
To navigate a world
That turns
And never stops turning
Together in this world

Months later, Abuela gave birth to Julieta, Pepa and Bruno. She and Abuelo were overjoyed.

SINGER: That turns
And never stops turning

But then one night, violent bad soldiers attacked the village and started to burn the houses down.

SINGER: Two oruguitas
Against the weather
The wind grows colder

Abuela and Abuelo knew their children wouldn't be safe in the village, so they packed up and left home.

SINGER: But they're together
They hold each other
No way of knowing

The young couple ventured out into the wilderness, followed by other villagers.

SINGER: They're all they
Have for shelter
And something
Inside them
Is growing
They long to stay
Together
But something
Inside them
Is growing

But when they reached the river, the soldiers caught up with them. The villagers ran in fear.

SINGER: Ay, oruguitas
Don't you hold on too tight