Abuela's Regret

Abuelo brought them outside the village. Mirabel saw her aunt looking distressed.

"Mama, it's alright," Camilo held his mother's hand, trying to make her feel better.

Pepa just sobbed. "No, nino," she said. "We don't have our powers anymore. Lost everything."

"Mirabel?" Tio Felix called while his daughter tried to hear but couldn't know that her power was gone.

"What if she fell in a river and drowned?" Dolores asked, feeling a little scared.

"Hija, don't say that," said Felix, hugging his daughter. "Mirabel wouldn't want you to think that."

Camilo and Pepa walked over. Dolores hugged her brother and Felix wrapped his wife in his arms.

"Do you think she's gone?" the boy asked tearfully.

"I hope not, hermano," said the girl.

"Any luck finding her?" Pepa asked.

"We've searched everywhere, miel," said Felix. "I don't know where she could've gone."

"Mirabel can't be gone," said Camilo. "She just can't. She's still too young. She still has a whole life ahead of her."

"What's Abuela doing?" asked Mirabel.

"She is not doing so well," said Abuelo as they transported to the rubble.

Abuela Alma was sitting on rock. Her eyes were red and she looked upset. She held a photo of Mirabel when she was a baby. Her tears fell and wet the photo.

"What have I done?" she whimpered.

"Abuela?" Mirabel whispered.

"Do you remember the last words she said to you?" asked Abuelo.

Mirabel nodded. "She said the cracks started, Tio Bruno left, Luisa was losing her powers and Isabela was out of control...because of me...and she said I was hurting our family. Why?"

"She's feeling terrible for saying those things to you, nieta. Listen," Abuelo said as the two watched Abuela.

Abuela turned her attention to the photo. "Nieta...I am truly sorry for how I treated you...you were never the one who hurt our family...I never wanted those horrible things to be the last words I ever said to you...if I had to start my time over with you...I would cherish you for the person you are."

Abuela kissed the image of baby Mirabel in the photo. Then she hid her face in her hands.

Mirabel's heart melted. She closed her eyes while emotions welled in her heart.

"They all miss me?" she asked her grandfather.

"They do," said Abuelo.

"I thought Abuela hated me," said Mirabel in tears.

"She doesn't, nieta," said Abuelo sadly. "Her broken heart blinded her to care about the miracle more than our family. It broke my heart watching her suffer for so long."

Then Mirabel remembered one more Madrigal. "What about Tio Bruno?"

"He's the saddest of all," said Abuelo.

"Please let me see him," begged Mirabel.

So they were transported to the forest around the Encanto.