Chapter 15

Jimmy came home before the sun was high in the sky, as promised.

Scott sat on the Swamp Empire's docks with his bare feet dangling in the ocean. He stared out at the horizon in the direction of the Ocean Empire.

The docks were a place full of hustle and bustle, and Scott's pointed ears flicked, trying to capture every sound. It smelled of saltwater and fish and wind blew through Scott's hair.

Then he noticed a head poke out of the water and disappear just as fast. It was brief, so he didn't get a good look at the face, but he knew it was Jimmy.

Minutes later Scott heard a tiny splash underneath the dock.

"Hm. I wonder who that could be?" Scott said sarcastically.

There was silence for a few moments before Jimmy poked his head up again and spit a stream of water at Scott's face.

Scott shot to his feet, his wings fluffing up. "Hey! What was that for?" He wiped his face off as Jimmy climbed out of the water and collapsed on the wood.

Jimmy didn't respond, grinning instead.

Scott placed his hands on his hips and glared down at Jimmy, though still smiling.

Jimmy shuffled to his feet, Scott staring at him warily. He took a step towards Jimmy, and before Jimmy could do anything, he was back in the water. He heard Scott's giggle even from underwater.

When he surfaced again, he laughed. "I guess I deserve that."

Scott held out his hand to help this time. Jimmy pulled himself out of the water once again and scrambled away from the edge of the dock. He scooted around Scott (nearly bumping into his wings), careful not to let him within arms reach lest Scott try to push him in again.

"By the way," Jimmy started, now looking at Scott again. "I'm sorry that I kinda just, like, left? I went to go talk to Lizzie."

Scott stepped towards him. "It's fine. I don't mind. You should still be able to do the things you want to do. And you're back now, aren't you?" He smiled, his blue eyes shimmering.

Then he grabbed Jimmy's hand and entwined their fingers. He didn't notice the way the tips of Jimmy's gills turned pink, or the way his breathing got a little faster.

"C'mon," Scott said, pulling him back towards the house.