Chapter 41

The next time Scott saw Jimmy, he was walking towards his father. They were in a large room decorated in green and gold. Mostly codfolk occupied the seats, but there were a few exceptions. Ambassadors from each kingdom sat scattered around the room. Joel and Lizzie were sitting to Scott's left. Xornoth sat on his other side, repeatedly glancing at a boy who was dressed in traditional jungle fabrics. Rainbow wings stuck out of his back.

Scott tried to take up as little room as possible so he tucked his wings in close to his back.

All the guests had been asked to wear something formal, but Scott felt like he always wore formal clothes, so just for good measure he had put in an extra earring.

Next to him, Lizzie was wearing a pretty blush pink dress that matched her hair perfectly. Her iridescent blue skin glinted in the light. Next to her, Joel wore a simple azalea purple dress shirt and black pants.

In front of all of them, Jimmy took one more step towards his father and knelt in front of him. The former king took off the golden crown perched upon his head and placed it gently on Jimmy's head. The emeralds sparkled as Jimmy turned to face the crowd.

"Uh, hello," Jimmy started, "Um, if you could all go into that room over there that would be great." His father elbowed him. "Please?" Jimmy quickly added.

Scott shuffled into the other room along with Joel and Lizzie. It looked like a ballroom, and Scott frowned. He hoped he wouldn't have to dance, even if it was with Jimmy. Even though he knew how, he found it uncomfortable and his wings always got in the way. His antlers would make it even harder now.

Lizzie being the tallest, led her husband and Scott through the crowd of codfolk and to a corner of the room.

"You two wait here, I'm going to go find Jimmy," she said.

"But what if I want to come too?" Joel asked.

The Ocean Queen flashed her husband a look that said something like don't even try to argue with me, I will win, turned and waded her way through the crowd.

Scott and Joel stood there in awkward silence for a few minutes before Lizzie came back gripping Jimmy's wrist.

"Found him," she said proudly.

Jimmy smiled and the crown atop his head fell slightly to the side. Lizzie straightened it quickly. "Uh thanks." Jimmy said. He reached forwards and grabbed Jimmy's hand.

"C'mere," he said, "I want to show you something."