Chapter 14

When Scott woke up, the first thing he realized was that Jimmy was gone. He sat up fast and his eyes darted around the room, falling on a folded piece of paper. It had his name written on it in Jimmy's scribbled handwriting.

He threw the covers off himself and dashed over to the desk. He grabbed it gently and unfolded it carefully.

Scott,

I'm at the Ocean Empire. I'll be back before midday. Please be smart and stay safe.

Love, Jimmy

Love? Scott thought. He reread the note before setting it back down on the desk.

The house was significantly quieter than Scott had seen it since he had been staying there. He found himself wishing Jimmy was with him.

Jimmy made his way up the steps quickly. When he reached the top he found Lizzie waiting for him.

"Lizzie! I have another question to ask you!" he yelled, his tail swishing and flicking water everywhere.

"Whoa, calm down. You're just about as loud as the waves," Lizzie smiled. "But ask away."

"Why do I have healing magic?"

"I don't know, but I think it could have come from the ocean gods. I have water powers." Then as if to demonstrate, she stretched her hand out towards Jimmy. The saltwater he brought up the stairs lifted into the air, and it hovered for a moment. Then Lizzie flicked her fingers and all the little droplets joined into one, then splashed into Jimmy's face.

He closed his eyes just in the nick of time. Lizzie burst out laughing.

"See?" she said, batting her eyelashes innocently.

Jimmy wiped the water off his face and shook the rest of it off. "How am I supposed to make fun of you with healing?"

"Ha! That's the point!" She brushed her hair over her shoulder, grinning.

"You're the worst."

Lizzie laughed harder.

As the morning wore on, Jimmy didn't learn more about his family. But he was okay with that. He got to spend his time with his family, instead of caring about things he couldn't change.